Chapter 16 - Missed Friend

~~~ CHAPTER 16 - MISSED FRIEND ~~~

Goodness gracious!

"Am I imagining, mom? Is he really here?" I asked mom, so thankful to the newcomer that I could have a chance to disregard the issue of my drunkenness. But, apart from that, I was really happy to see him again.

"No, you aren't, dear," she declared as she signalled him to get inside. He stepped in bringing mommy's traveling bag.

I stood up and met him. "Diego!"

"Hi, Thea!" he accosted me with the widest smile ever. He was wearing a white short-sleeved button-down shirt and black slacks, the Sarmientos' driver's uniform.

"Oh, my God! I can't believe you're here! Did you drive all the way here?"

"Yup," he said casually. I had been used to the way he talked to me, like I was not the señorita of The Fields. He was my friend after all. Well, after the community services I had at La Carlota with Diego and Elena, I decided that the two of them stop calling me señorita. I just thought they were my friends and I personally liked them to call me on first name basis. Mom knew about it and what could she do.

I caught a glimpse of Nigel's bewildered expression as Diego and I faced each other. I thought I heard Nigel's curse as he walked out on us. He probably headed to the dining room.

"Congratulations! You've finally driven up to here. That's very good," I spoke excitedly, grabbing his arm. "Oh my, can't really believe you're here! How I wish Elena too were here!"

"Elena's busy with college, you know," Diego smiled, giving me the impression of his excitement when he uttered the word college.

"Wow!" I blurted, grasping my mouth with my right palm as I turned to Mommy Carol. "Seriously, mommy? Elena is now going to college? That was very sweet of you!" I went to mom and hugged her.

"The señora is also sending me to college," Diego reported from behind me.

Now I knew what to give Elena and Diego this Christmas. They must have cell phones so I could easily check them out.

When I faced him again, he was rubbing his nape with his forefinger. His blushing cheeks showed not of embarrassment but of incitement especially in the utterance of the word college. Perhaps, the realization of his dream had not yet sunk in him.

Way to go, Diego!

"I kept my promise, darling," mom said.

Didn't I have the greatest mommy in the world?

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Yes, we had a late dinner. Mommy, Diego, and I spent like an hour talking before we finally realized that Suzana had already served it. It was Nigel who cut the conversation off by asking whether we were to take our dinner or not. What was really with that guy? Should he be rude all the time?

After dinner, Nigel left to his room while mom went early to my bed. Mom and I both decided that she had to take a rest in my room. I guessed the catching up with her would be tomorrow. So, for the meantime, I stayed with Suzana and Diego in the kitchen for I wanted to be updated with everything in The Fields. While Suzana was dishwashing, Diego and I sat on the high stools beside the kitchen island.

"Really? How amazing is that!" I shreiked after Diego told me about how Elena was doing in college. He said all her professors were impressed of her good performance. "I always know Elena's brilliant. Wow! And how about you?"

He rubbed his nape and avoided eye contact with me, "Well, just... just trying to cope..."

I laughed loudly with how he reacted, "You better do well in your studies, Diego! You dream of becoming an engineer, don't you?"