Chapter 15: The Aftermath

Beads of sweat ran repeatedly down her face and into her soaked shirt. Her breathing came in short intervals, arms pumping at her sides, and legs simultaneously moving forward in a never ending run—rubber to rubber. The machines around her were dead save for the one she was on. It was nighttime again as depicted by the view all around her. The city looked as beautiful as it was yesterday.

When she saw disappointed eyes.

When she was rewarded with Michiru's back to her.

"I guess it doesn't help much that I just noticed how I know nothing about the real you."

The lump in her throat served to maker her run faster, the reverberating sound of the thread mill heightening as her feet pounded roughly against the rubber. In this state of concentrating only on her bodily functions, she could ignore the lump in her throat, the painful throb in her heart, and the pitiful feeling in her stomach. She could only feel numb… and she was more than alright with that.

"Haruka-chan?"

She could hear Kenro's voice, but chose to ignore him. She just wanted to be alone, why couldn't he see that? She heard him sigh as he walked directly in front of the thread mill, their eyes almost gaining contact until she opted to look over his head.

Kenro sighed again as he leaned on the glass wall, putting his hands in his pants pockets casually. He looked over his daughter's tired figure, most notably her bloodshot eyes.

"Look Haruka-chan—

"What's the final verdict?" Her voice was collected, emotionless, and a little strained, but only due to the lack of oxygen in her lungs.

Kenro frowned at her question for a moment before fully understanding it. "I don't think that's important right now—

"Well I think it is," Haruka cut off, not minding her manners and still not looking at him in the eye.

The Vice President looked at her sadly for a moment before looking away. "Seito gave in to the deal. Half of RST's assets are now TWE's. It's all going to be under the table so nothing's ever going to be made official. He agreed on the fake title and total scrutiny until he dies. Toriyama's given Commander post of RST's DD under the circumstance of him being always and completely under you as well as being held in close observation, much like Seito, and lastly Sumeragi is given the choice of going back to Korea or maintain as an employer of RST's Executive Branch. Of course, he will also be under close observation until he dies. Very…lenient given the circumstances and what we can and have dished out in the past concerning traitors among our company.

"Now…on to more important things," he turned his head back to look at the still running blonde. "How are you?"

Haruka sighed loudly and pulled the power key off of the thread mill, making it stop slowly under her. She grabbed a towel sitting on the machine's handle and slowly wiped the sweat pouring from her hair to her face. Her legs felt rubbery, the tingly feeling from the bottom of her feet marching to her shins. When she looked back up to a still observing Kenro she gave a small shrug as a reply and began walking slowly away. Kenro followed not a moment after.

"I'm thinking of visiting my parents," Haruka replied, smiling wryly. Kenro remained quiet next to her as they reached the elevator doors and she pushed the down button. "It's been a while since I visited due to the whole fiasco and I miss them. Tomorrow. I'll be going early and coming back late, so don't wait for me."

Kenro nodded quietly as the elevator door opened. Haruka stepped inside and held on to the door, eyeing her surrogate father momentarily. "The immediate threat has passed so have someone remove all my things from Kaioh-san's condominium as well as file an immediate withdrawal from Mugen." She gave a wry smile as she removed her hand away from the sensors. "Mission complete."