Chapter 2

PERCY

You could say that I was one of the happiest people on Earth right now. One, because Annabeth just transferred to Goode High School. And two, she was pretending to be my girlfriend. You remember how I said that I had my eye on someone? Well, that someone could or could not be Annabeth. But then I had gone too far and told some girls that she was my girlfriend after they tried to ask me out. Ever since, I've had to keep up this little lie by telling people that Annabeth was my girlfriend, but few believed me. And even though that she probably wanted to kill me when I told her that everyone thought that we were dating, I knew that she was really glad to see me. Although, knowing that in the next few weeks, we would break up made me pretty sad. I tried not to think about that too much.

Luckily, Annabeth and I had a few classes together: history, math and English. Math was our last class before lunch. As soon as the bell rang, I jumped out of my seat to head to the cafeteria, but Annabeth stayed where she was.

"Come on, Wise Girl. It's time for lunch." I said.

"Just wait a second. I want to finish this so I don't have homework tonight." She said and kept writing some problems down.

"Seriously?" I sighed. Annabeth looked up for a moment, annoyed, then silently went back to her work. I rolled my eyes, then walked back over to her and sat down at desk beside her.

Annabeth looked at me again, this time confused. "What are you doing?"

"I'm waiting on you," I said. "But hurry, it's Friday. They serve pizza on Fridays."

Annabeth tried to hide a smile, but I saw it. Her hand flied across the paper as she solved equations that would take me ten minutes each. In no time, she was putting away her things and standing up.

"Let's go!" she said merrily and strolled out the class. I led her to the cafeteria.

"Remember," I whispered to her, "My friend Liam doesn't believe that you're... Well, real. So, just remember to play the part, okay?" I pleaded.

"Fine," said Annabeth.

"Um, is it okay if I..." My arm hovered around her shoulders.

She grinned. "I'll allow it, Jackson."

I weaved my around around her shoulders and held her against me, then we walked into the cafeteria. I took Annabeth to my usual table, where Jordyn and Liam were already sitting.

"Hey, guys!" Jordyn said, flipping her ginger hair over her shoulder.

"Hey. Liam, I want you to meet my girlfriend, Annabeth." I said. Liam raised his eyebrows.

"Ha! Yeah right. How much did he pay you to pretend to be his girlfriend?" Liam asked Annabeth.

Annabeth tilted her head and chuckled. "What?" she looked up at me. "What is he talking about?"

"Oh come on," said Liam, leaning forwards. "I mean, there's no way that Jackson could ever get a girlfriend. Especially not... you." Liam's eyes looked at Annabeth intensely.

I felt my grip tightening on Annabeth. "Hey-"

"It's fine, Percy," Annabeth said quickly.

I pursed my lips, shot Liam a we'll-talk-later glare, then sat down with Annabeth.

"So, Annabeth. How are you liking Goode so far?" Jordyn asked, quickly changing the subject.