LittleWings

Warm water beat down on my raw skin. I reached a hand for the knob, twisting the water off. I grabbed a towel, wrapped it around me, and went straight for the mirror. I wiped away the steam and stared at my reflection.

“You did this.”

I told myself.

“You and no one else.”

                Guilt pinched my stomach.

“But it was an accident.”

I pleaded.

“A horrible accident. I didn’t mean to, it wasn’t my fault!”

“Tell that to your mother!”

I growled.

“Oh, wait, she’s dead.”

                Tears clouded my vision as I tried to shake out my own voice. I was torn. It was my fault, but at the same time, I didn’t believe that. It was an accident. A horrible accident I wish I could take back.

“I hate you!”

Mom had said to me as I stormed out for the last time.

“I hope you die!”

                Hate words, I told myself. Now I felt like she really meant it. Why else would she tell her only daughter something so horrible?

                I sighed, filing out of the bathroom and headed for my bedroom where I quickly pulled on my awful yellow uniform. I return to the bathroom brushing on mascara and Chap Stick. I examined the scar around my neck and shuddered. The uniform didn’t quite cover it up, and I had been yelled at for wearing a scarf. I had to be creative.

                I opened a draw sorting through stray necklaces. I smirked as my fingers brushed against a black choker/locket.

                “Perfect.” I muttered. Now no one would know my dirty little secret.

***

                I arrived at school extra early. I felt my heart leap in my chest as I made my way past the almost abandoned music room. I stared at the door. There was a good chance the Host members were gone, but was I willing to risk bumping into them? I lowered my head. If I did run into them, it would give me the chance to apologize for my behavior earlier. But if not…

                A smile twitched at the corner of my lips. If they weren’t there, I could take the privacy to sing/vent, and the Lord knew how much I needed that. I took a heavy breath, reaching for the handle. I was willing to take the gamble.

I sealed my eyes shut

As the double doors swung open.

Nothing.

No overwhelming greeting

No seasonal scent

No Tamaki

No Haruhi.

I was alone.

                I slid my bag off my shoulder and carefully made my way to the back of the oversized room, stunned no one was in sight. I figured they’d be here, talking, hanging out, preparing. But not even the guy with glasses, Kyoya, was here. I let out a sigh of relief and found my way to the piano hidden behind a curtain. I didn’t know how much time I had, but I was willing to bet it wasn’t a lot.