Bonding

“No kidding?” I laughed, sipping at some hot tea. “They dragged you all the way out to the islands?”

                “Yeah, I feel like they’d follow me to America, given the chance.” She chuckled. “It’s really nice to talk to someone about all of this. Lately it’s been crazy, and since everything’s so secretive, my choices of people to talk to have been limited.”

                I nodded. “I know exactly what you mean. I mean, not exactly, but I’m really glad I met you. You’re so down to earth and really easy to talk to. I needed that.”

                “Thanks.” She smiled. I took another swig, letting the warm liquid heat me from the inside out. Haruhi was nice enough to fix me some tea and bring me some dry clothes to wear until my dad came to pick me up, but I was still chilled to the bone. “So, what about you? Do you have any wacky friends?”

                “Define wacky.” I laughed nervously. One name did come to mind. I shivered, not wanting to elaborate. He was a different kind of wacky, and not at all someone I wanted to talk about, especially to an almost stranger. I sighed, burring him along with all of the unwanted memories.

                “Wacky as in unusual.” She said raising a brow. Despite sensing something wrong, she pressed on. “What’s his name?”

                “I can’t tell you. He’d kill me.”   

                “Kill you?” She laughed; I remained frozen. “Oh my God, you’re serious?”

 I lowered my head. An awkward silence spread between us. Haruhi filled my cup to the brim, not knowing what else to do.

                “Is that why you moved here?” She asked after a minute. “Because of him?”

                Goosebumps covered me from head to toe. I rubbed my arms and kept my gaze at the table. A lump the size of Japan clogged my throat, and my mouth felt like cotton. Why’d she keep pressing the subject? She wasn’t stupid, obviously I was uncomfortable.

                “Haruhi!” Someone hummed, exploding through the front door. I let out a sigh of relief. There was a God! “Are you ok, my cherry blossom? I was worried, after the storm and all-“

                He froze, eyes wide, in the doorframe. His gaze locked tight on me, unsure of what to say, he gave me a nervous smile.

                “Hi, Tamaki.” I waved. His grin grew.

                “What are you doing here?” He asked sweetly.

                “I got caught in the rain,” I explained, “Haruhi found me and took me back here.”

                He eyed me giving me a weak nod. “I see, so how’s Haruhi? Is she, I mean he, ok?”

                “Drop the act, she already knows.” Haruhi sighed. “And, you’re late. The storm passed at least a half hour ago.”

                “You, you know?” His mouth gaped wide open. His gaze flickered between Haruhi and I. “How much do you know?”

                “Just about everything, I guess. I know Haruhi’s a girl and why she pretends to be a boy. Quite frankly, we’ve been bonding this whole time.”

                “So you told her about us, then?” He said to her. She held her breath; I smiled.

                “She didn’t, but that actually makes a lot of sense.” I chirped, slurping down the rest of the tea. “You guys make an extraordinary couple.”