Chapter Seventeen // Turning Point

"Where are we going?" Chase drove us away from Darlington, down some back roads until civilization was long gone.

"Thought we could get out of the city for a bit." I raised my eyebrow up at him because what city? Darlington was just some small town in the middle of nowhere.

"Don't forget, Kasey knows I'm with you so you can't kidnap me or anything." Chase laughed, reaching over and interlocking our fingers together.

"I wouldn't have to kidnap you, you'd come willingly." I don't answer, and the smile etched on his face knows he's right.

The sun began to set, the golden blaze fading into reds and purples. It was so beautiful that I didn't even notice that Chase stopped until he opened the door. I looked around at our surroundings and we were in a middle of a field, no restaurant in sight. "Where are we?"

"Stay put for a second, please," he answered instead.

"Chase," he kissed whatever protest I was going to say right off my lips.

"I'll be a minute."

After 5 minutes of loud bangs and Chase blessing the Lord after an even louder noise, he opened my door and helped me out of his truck. "Close your eyes."

"Chase."

"Please, it's a surprise." His lower lip jutted out and how could I resist that?

Chase placed his hands over my eyes and led me towards the back of the truck. "Stay right here for one second." He kissed my cheek and disappeared a nanosecond later. "Okay, open them." I blinked open my eyes and gasped in surprise.

Chase recreated our first date. The bed of his truck was covered in blankets and pillows. Candles sat everywhere casting a low glow in the middle of the darkening field. A picnic basket sat on the gate of the truck and right next to that, was Chase holding a bouquet of wild daisies.

"Before you say anything, I want you to know that for this moment on, I will be by your side, no matter what. I will not run away when things get too serious, and in fact, I want that. I want to be the man you deserve to have by your side. To be there when you need a friend, a strong shoulder to cry on, someone to watch stupid romantic comedies with. Someone to roll the windows down and sing along to the songs on the radio at the top of my lungs no matter how off key I get." Chase sat the flowers down and walked over to where I stood, completely speechless. "I also want to more than just that," he cupped my face in his hand, tucking a piece of loose hair behind my ear. "I want to be able to take your breath away with just one kiss." He leaned in, brushing his lips against mine but never connecting. "I want to be the man you think about late at night when you can't sleep." His fingers trailed down the side of my neck, tracing my collar bone. My heart was beating erratically at this point and I was completely hypnotized. "I want to hear my name in a soft moan in the late night and then again in the early mornings because we can't get enough of each other. I want it all, Sadie. That is, if you want it too."

I was covered in goosebumps and shaking under Chase's touch. Not because it was getting chilly out, but because of the way he stared at me with those chocolate brown eyes. I know he said this the other night, but tonight the words just clicked with my soul and I knew this was our turning point.

Instead of answering him, I kissed Chase with all my might. I pulled him close to me, my fingers carding through his thick hair as my lips met his with a hungered passion. I pour all of my unspoken wishes and desires into the way my tongue searched his out. I could tell he smiling, but when a moan escaped from the back of my throat, Chase returned the kiss with just as much eagerness.

Chase lifted me off the ground, my legs wrapping around his waist as he carried me over to the gate of his truck, never once breaking the kiss.

"I love you so much, Sadie Mae," he whispered against my lips, "I've always had but was too scared to say it before." I pulled away from Chase, not wanting to ruin to the moment but I had to tell Chase before it was too late.

"Chase, I need to tell you something," I kept my voice strong and soft, trying not to hide at the fact that I was scared. Scared of him walking away, and most importantly, scared of his reaction.

"Anything."

"I'm pregnant."