Chapter Sixteen // Falling

I sat on top of Chase's pitbox during the race, updating his status on Twitter while listening in on Earl telling Chase where the leaders are running. The Nationwide race just started and already he was gaining ground.

I thought back to this morning while laying in bed with Chase. Could things be that easy? I want to believe that he's changed and willing to give us another chance, but a small part of me doubts him. I can't help but think that because it's happened before. I believe everyone deserves a second chance and I've never given him one, and so far? Things are going perfect.

He insisted that we stand together during prerace ceremonies. I was not having that, but then he grabbed my hand and twirled me around and kissed me on my nose. The gesture caught me off guard that it was too late move. I have no idea what prayer was said, or who sang the National Anthem. All I know was that my heart was beating a million miles per minute and I was acutely aware of how close Chase was to me.

His brown eyes shined with excitement when I wished him good luck and leaned in to give him a hug. He held me longer than I expected, his nose brushing against the crook of my neck and there was no denying the fact that I felt his lips press against my skin. When he pulled away, I took a sharp intake of breath because of the intensity of his eyes.

Chase Elliott has the pull strings of my heart and I'm falling faster than ever before.

**

"Stop smiling at me like that." I was in Kasey's RV getting ready for my date tonight with Chase. He's been smirking at me ever since I asked him if I could freshen up here instead of going back to the hotel.

"Just make sure I get the credit when you send out the wedding invites." I glared at him in the mirror and shook my head. Kasey still doesn't know the history between Chase and I and it's going to stay that way.

"Funny." I let the last piece of my hair fall from the curling iron into a nice ringlet and gave myself a once over.

I had on a cute white dress that hugged my body just right and stopped at my mid thigh. Add in my favorite pair of cowboy boots and I was ready to go. Just, when I stepped out into the living room area, 2 set of eyes landed on me, but all I could see was Chase and the brilliant side smile he was giving me.

My heart leaped in my chest and my lower abdominal did a funny swoop. I instantly grabbed my stomach and Chase ran to my side. "Are you okay? Do you need anything?" I looked into up into his concerned eyes and instantly my, no our future flashed before my eyes.

Chase was there. He was there for me, and for our baby. That smile, his warm embrace and his love was endless. "Yeah, everything is perfect." Because for once, it was.