Chapter Nine // Temporary Fix

July 2015

"I'll be right back, okay? Gonna get another beer." I winked at my best friend, getting up from where I was laying in the sun at my parents home. They were in Daytona for the 4th of July weekend and I invited a few friends over. That wink was for her to know I was going to disappear for a while so she could make a move on the guy she's been crushing on.

The party was perfect. BBQ on the grill, Eric Church blasting from the sound system and the sun was brighter than it was in Florida at this time. Last I checked the race today was delayed.

"Chase! What're you doing here man?" My head snapped up from where I was leaning into an ice cooler to see one of my friends greet someone I haven't seen in a very, very long time.

Chase Elliott.

"Oh, just dropping something off for Mr. H. I didn't expect to see a party here though!"

"Yeah, totally last minute. Sadie got back in town this past weekend." I could see the color drain from Chase's face like he didn't expect me to be here, and that alone made me feel like crap.

"Where?" Jason turned his head to the side and found me staring at them. He motioned to Chase where I was and then our eyes met.

The boy I once knew was now a man; the sun kissed his skin and the stubble on his face was easily a beard. He's changed so much since I last saw him at Christmas.

He quickly looked away, "well, I better get going, it was nice to see you again." He turned away from Jason and before I knew it, I was running after him.

"Chase, wait!" I caught up to him inside the kitchen, the loud music was now muffled with the door closed and all I could hear was my beating heart. "I'll, um, I'll tell my dad you stopped by?" I tried. I was so nervous to speak to him.

"Yeah," he grabbed the back of his neck, not looking at me, "My dad wanted me to drop off a few things. I left them in his office. I better get going. It was nice seeing you again." Chase mumbled and disappeared out of my kitchen.

I slouched against the counter, my hair falling in my face as I tried to calm down my beating heart. How was it impossible to speak to someone I once knew so well?

"Your tattoo." I gasped when I felt familiar fingers on my skin tracing the bird tattoo I have on my shoulder blade. I looked up to see Chase there, his eyes dark and curious. "Is this?" I closed my eyes and nodded yes, my skin breaking out in goosebumps as he whispered the words underneath the birds, written in his handwriting.

Everyone deserves the chance to fly.

"I got it a week after I left," I suddenly found my voice, but it sounded so small to my ears.

I gasped when I felt Chase's lips press against where his fingers just were. There was no reason for him to be kissing my skin, but I wasn't going to stop him.

Chase continued to kiss along my shoulder until he walked around in front of me. "I came back to give you this, but then I saw your tattoo and it distracted me for a moment." He cocked his head to the side with a playful smile on his lips. Like the Chase I knew never changed but I could tell there was something dark and lustful in his brown eyes.

We've never talked about what happened between us, he just let the cards fall into a heaping pile and never bother picking them up.

"And what were you going to give me?"

"This." Chase took both of his hands and placed them on my cheeks, tilting my head just so and leaned in and kissed me.

I wasn't prepared for that kiss, and I certainly wasn't prepared for my reaction.