Elemental Downs

Vulcan sat in the back of the van facing Bolt and Tornado. Tornado was bored and staring out the window commenting on everything they passed, from slightly overweight people, to dogs, to even mentioning when a tree went passed the window. Since they had entered a forest at one stage that had caused Bolt and Vulcan to give him some bruises.

Occasionally he also added the word “Ow” to his observations. Although this did require prompting on occasion.

Bolt was actually not as bad as Vulcan had thought originally. He wasn’t reading or anything, but he was mostly quiet, and on top of that he also practiced his abilities by threading a piece of static electricity between his fingers. Vulcan respected that, even if it wasn’t much, everything like that mattered if they were going to survive the next few years.

Vulcan himself sat back and lazily threw a ball of fire between his hands, control practice, he needed to do this more, he could control the flames easily, but he was still quite inaccurate at times. At close range he was always deadly, like in his fight with Bolt, but he knew he had just been lucky the idiots dropped from the building above to fight him. If they hadn’t he would have been in trouble. He knew he had to be stronger in the future so he tried to push his limits, which was difficult because he was sitting in the back of a van, there wasn’t much room for advanced movements usually and this van was a perfect example of that. It was cramped and rocked too much on the actually flat road. Strange for a country road, but Vulcan guessed they weren’t being sent somewhere that remote so it could be this flat he supposed, either that or this was one hell of a trick.

“House,” Tornado said, “house, shack, shed, ow! What the hell man!”

“Shutup,” Bolt grunted while focusing on the electricity moving around his palm.

“Do-”Tornado was interrupted by the “zzzzing” of an electric current passing through the air and through his body. The “zzzzing” noise was mostly his own statement being messed up by the current.

The anger and surprise on Tornado’s face caused Vulcan to laugh heartily and Bolt joined in quickly. Tornado merely scowled, which made them laugh even more.

“It’s not funny!” Tornado shouted.

“It is!” Bolt and Vulcan argued.

“It is – zzzzing” Tornado was cut off by another zap from the currents running through and around Bolt. “Hey! Zzzzing” Tornado hit Bolt in retaliation but got an even bigger shock than before. Tornado slumped to the floor groaning.

“Nice,”

“He did it to himself,”

“Point taken, does this happen a lot?”

“Yep,”

“Thing’s seem to be getting better and better then,” Vulcan laughed as he extinguished the flame in his hand.

The van eventually stopped and immediately Vulcan, Bolt and Tornado clambered out.

Outside the day was bright; Tornado and Bolt raised their hands to protect their eyes from the light. Vulcan didn’t flinch at the light, his eyes were used to heat generated by the powerful flames he commanded and so the sudden brightness barely afflicted him at all. He could stare at the sun directly if he really wanted to.

In front of them stood a small house, it was very normal looking and was surrounded by other normal looking houses.

“Is that it?” Tornado asked.

“Too small, they said we’d get a big one,” Vulcan walked to the other side of the van and off the road, “Like the one we parked outside of,”

“Oh…” Muttered Bolt looking at the house.

The style was definitely modern, and it must have cost a small fortune to buy, the block of land was huge and the house itself was immense. It was covered in a mix of dark concrete, brown wood and dull grey metal, although it had a beauty of its own beyond the bland colours. The windows were also tinted so dark there was no way you could see in through them unless it was a pitch black night and lights were blazing away inside.

“It’s perfect,” Vulcan smiled.

“Better than what that bank heist you tried would get you,” Bolt jeered.

“That would get you a cell,” Tornado added.

“You think that would hold me?”

“No, I don’t,”

“They’d probably just shoot you,”

“Aye,” Vulcan grunted as he began to stride towards the house.

Behind them the driver got out and began to take their stuff out of the van, a man in a suit stood on the footpath and watched in case anyone came to close to investigate the new neighbours.

“Comfy couch!” Tornado yelled jumping through the air to land at an odd angle on a black leather couch. He straightened out and looked up “Holy Plasma! We have a MASSIVE TV!”

Bolt ran into the kitchen “Food! The place is packed! Oh look a note,”

“What’s it say?” Vulcan asked heading down the corridor to check the other rooms.

“TV is awesome!” Tornado shouted.

“Shut up Tornado, Bolt what’s it say?”

“They’re gonna send food each week so we don’t have to shop, only bigger words…”

Vulcan walked up and checked it “some have more than two syllables, best not try and get Tornado to read it then,”

“Good idea,” Bolt laughed, “what’s in the other rooms?”

“Each is a bedroom, we have about Nine I think,”

“They think we are gonna stock up on heirs then?”

“Quite possibly, I’ve bagged my room, you can take yours when you like,” Vulcan turned to leave then added “Tell me when Dinners ready, I’ll be putting my stuff in and making it my room so knock first,”

“Why?”

“Do you want to see Warrior meditate?”

“I don’t want to see him again, ever,”

“Then don’t look,”

“Ok… Dinner will be, whenever we feel like then,”

“Two thirty in the morning it is then!” Tornado added from the living room.

“Geez,” Vulcan said walking to his room.

When he got in he grabbed a blade from his bag and began cutting symbols into the walls “Just like home,” he smiled.