The Split

Vulcan stared at Conduct. Conduct had since drawn a knife from within his darkly coloured vest; the vest seemed to be merely that, no body armour, Conduct had clearly expected only to be endangered by regular policemen, not a team of fellow elementals.

“They don’t deserve death,”

“Do they not?” Conduct visibly seemed to straighten up, like his injuries healed as he stared down his companion.

Something seemed to crack in Conducts body as his head swayed slightly.

“Your healing unnaturally,”

“Metal I added to my body, quickens the process,”

“Even if that did work it would not be so rapid, something happened to you, as you were crippled, because the Conduct I know lacks the spine to murder those he fought, possibly brave enough to kill them in battle, but not murder.”

“I grew up Vulcan,”

“As rapidly as you heal? That is unnatural, even for us!”

“I told you that you were soft,”

“Only Warrior has ever done that and he’s…” Vulcan stopped.

His hand lit up and immediately he threw a large fireball at Conduct, who blocked it with a nearby piece of metal which was heated to a red hot look immediately upon contact with the fireball.

“Malus!” Vulcan roared.

“Begon, traiter! You are why we fell from grace!” Vulcan in anger flung fireball after fireball at conduct, who continuously brought more and more objects to block the barrage. Each time the objects were larger than before, but most ended up pieces of molten metal on the ground.

Bolt’s eyes opened slightly, pain throbbed through his entire body.

“Come on man, get up! You gotta see this! Come on! If you don’t you’re screwed.”

“Wha-“ Bolt began. His eyes flung open, Tornado looked down on him curiously.

“That guy, what’s his name, Vulcan’s saving us from his team mate, the guy’s gone mental!”

“Which one?”

“Both of them!” Tornado screamed, he ducked as a rod of iron impaled itself into the wall right behind where he had just stood.

“Should we help them?” Bolt asked.

“I think they will be better off without us, since we are injured… And that metal guy seems a lot more dangerous now…”

“Good point, can you get us to somewhere up high, I think it’s best if we watched this one,” Bolt said while watching the fight unfold.

“On it,” Tornado grabbed him and they floated into the air.

Vulcan leaped away from yet another Iron Rod; Conduct had pulled pieces of metal out of buildings all the way down the street, even some of the supports of a closer building, which he used as a shield. Lifting it up and down to deflect blows while being fully capable of seeing Vulcan during the fight.

He had Vulcan on the run and they both knew it. Vulcan’s style relied on his ability to strike his opponent relentlessly and right now, it was the other way round.

Vulcan grunted “This isn’t going to plan,”

“Isn’t the mighty Vulcan capable of taking down a ‘Malus’?” Jeered Conduct from behind his protective wall of steel.

“I could if you decided to take a few hits!” Vulcan roared, his fists lighting up.

He charged almost head first towards Conduct in an act of desperation and rage, roaring a challenge as he went.

Conduct was surprised by this assault but reacted quickly, sending his shield slamming into Vulcan and sending the larger combatant flying.

“Why take hits my friend? When you can simply deal them out yourself!” Conduct pressed his advantage, pushing the large piece of metal after the injured form.

Vulcan ducked into an alleyway to escape the piece of metal which smashed into a concrete wall instead. Conduct sighed and pulled his bludgeon back towards him.

After a moment he began to advance, stalking towards where his prey had been but moments before.

Vulcan removed the piece of shrapnel that had come of the collision the block had with the wall. He didn’t care to see whether it had been metal or concrete, but he knew it had to be removed quickly.

After he had taken care of the excess piece inside him he looked around the alleyway quickly, this was where his helmet had landed, and he needed Warriors strength if he wanted to make it out of this fight alive.

After a moment of scanning the area he spotted it, lying in a puddle filled with all kinds of pollutants. Just as Conduct rounded the corner Vulcan lunged for it, his hands splayed behind him. Fire erupted from his gloved hands, sending him through the air before conduct could react.

“To me!” Vulcan shouted as he passed within two meters of the helmet. It responded by willingly flying into his hands. Even though this is not normal for a fire elemental the helmet was merely an extension of his soul, and as such he had limited control over it in this way.

As soon as the helmet was in his grasp he quickly placed it onto his head. Pain seared through his mind, taking control of everything in one violent moment, and then, Vulcan ceased to exist once more and in his place stood Warrior. The physical changes erupting over his body, with lava bursting out of his skin rapidly as the skin immediately turned black and his eyes became as bright as the mid day sun.

Warrior’s head turned to the stunned Conduct, who had undoubtedly been expecting a weakened Vulcan, not Warrior himself.

“Well, well, well,” Warrior said in that familiar demonic tone. “What do we have here?”