Marital Surprises

I returned to my room in the institute to find a letter on my vanity table.

Uh oh. Last time I got a letter, it turned my life upside down...

I decided to ignore it for now and chose to open my jewellery box, letting my lullaby play and destroy the silence of the room. I grabbed several books from my book shelves on the far side of the room, Ceremonies For Shadowhunters, Ceremonies Performed By Royalty and Vows in Shadowhunter Marriages.

They all seemed appropriate so I took them to my bed and started reading them.

I got some decent reading done. I think I know how to conduct the ceremony. I'll just double check with a Silent Brother later...

For now, I have a letter to read. I thought resolutely. I have got to admit though, I thought as I rose from the bed, I couldn't get the letter out of my head when I was reading the books. It was so tempting to read that first but for Alec I admitted to myself softly, I had to ignore it for now and learn about marriage ceremonies so I can't embarrass him. But now that I finished that...

I snatched the letter from the vanity table and jumped back on my bed. 

I tore the familiar seal away and pulled the letter out of the envelope, reading it properly instead of hastily like last time

Dear Princess Alicia,

I regret my actions at the hearing of one, Isabelle Sophia Lightwood.

I am sorry for how I acted but we, the Clave believe that it is within the best interest of the whole shadowhunter community that the cup should be far away from Valentine's influence as possible and that includes his daughter's presence.

I am not usually as strict as that. Some may say differently but you would know differently. I was close with your father and therefore your mother before they died. I spent a lot of time with your family when you grew up. I know that you have your memories back. If you think back, you'll remember me.

I also regret to inform you that it was the Clave that ordered Miss Branwell to give you the drugged wine to lower your free will and make you susceptible to other people's orders.

I am truly sorry for what happened.

And to show my sincere apology, I will give you information that I am sorry to have.

Attached to this letter is a copy of the contract that your parents signed long ago. Unfortunately, it is an incomplete file. Once you see the file, do not think differently of your parents. They only did this for your protection. The Clave had been pressuring your parents for a while and they threatened taking you away if they didn't agree to this scenario.