Chapter 25: Send Me on My Way

There was little to nothing James had left to prepare for with his departure to Portsmouth. The only thing that needed to be smoothed out was his issue with the Magistrate, which Sebastian seemed to be working on. James hated having to wait for the man's answer. After days of waiting, when Sebastian was finally ready to give it, and James was on edge, about as close to bursting as any man could get. 

However, when Sebastian arrived with his plan, James wondered if it was worth the wait at all. 

"I feel as though the best way to buy you time and out of having to propose to Elizabeth is if someone else proposed to her," Sebastian said as the two of them took a leisurely stroll down the garden path. "A public proposal, a show of undying love. That should buy you enough time."

James tried hard not to laugh in his friend's face. "If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting..."

"I'll propose to Elizabeth Donaldson..."

"And there it is..."

"Publicly, of course," Sebastian continued, as though James had not spoken. "That way it causes a short scandal that should give you enough time to go find Lucy and come back. The Magistrate will be too preoccupied clearing up the mess to worry about acting on his threat."

James opened his mouth in an attempt to reply, but nothing came out. He tried again, and this time he managed to form a proper sentence. "You never showed any interest in Elizabeth before." 

"That does not matter, men often admire from a distance without plucking up the courage to say anything," Sebastian replied. "I find her to be a rather lovely and refined young woman, a wife any man would want to have. She comes from a good family, and as far as I know she herself would rather saw her own arm off than have any improper scandal marking her crystal clear ledger. Why wouldn't all the young bachelors in Lanfore be on their knees, vying to have her? Why are there not duels being held in the market square to win her affection? Why is the town crier not singing sonnets personally written by some lovelorn lad in need of her undivided attention? Why—"

"Dear god, make it stop..."

Sebastian shrugged. "You can't tell me it's not a good plan."

"What if she accepts your proposal?" James asked.

"Then, as I said, I will have received a good wife. And do not worry, I will make sure to make it known that you had every intention to propose, but had urgent business elsewhere, and so I took my chance, and she chose the better man."

"The Magistrate will see right through this plan," James groaned. "God, I don't even know how long I will need!"

"I am an excellent actor, fear not. If he sees through it, he won't have any proof," Sebastian waved a blithe hand around. "This way we both win, James. You have your way out and I may or may not have a potential wife."

"But there needs to be proof that I had a legitimate reason to be out of the county, despite the distraction your proposal will cause," James informed him. "But what?"

"A note?"

"Suspicious."

"A house call?"

"Even more suspicious."

"Then spread the word about your urgent business around your house and your associates," Sebastian said. "Spin a tall tale. Let it fester, then take your leave."