Chapter 33: Throwing Stones

James had anticipated a long voyage, but the days seemed to drag out more than necessary. The seas were unbearably calm, and the winds came and went at an agonizingly slow pace.

"The calm a'fer the storm," Captain Sutherland said. "An' they've been a'few this season."

"Bloody hell," James snarled. "Of all the times the sea decided to behave as it should, it would be now?" He turned to the captain. "How long does this extend the voyage?"

The captain shrugged. "T'would be easy t'as'ume... A day more? Per'aps less, 'ard t'be too sure."

"You're a seaman!"

"Aye, bu' I'm no bloo'y oracle," the captain cackled, turning to walk away.

James watched him go with a sour expression and cursed foully. He looked up to the skies and mourned the lack of storm clouds. Had he not prayed for calm waters, perhaps they would be in Belmoran by now—they had been on the sea for a two and a half days now, and they had been the most agonizing days of his life.

From Portsmouth to Cork, Ireland was about a day and a half, from what James gathered. But they were heading towards the Ports of Belmoran, which was on the other side of the mainland, facing west. According to Captain Sutherland, that added two days onto their journey and, with this horrid still water, it would possibly be a day more. That meant that, under normal circumstances, James would have been in Belmoran by now. He would have been able to see the love of his life.

"Curse this bad luck of mine," he shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

Maybe his bad luck was so great that a storm would actually hit, but one could only hope at this point.

XXX

London, England

Lydia had not gone to see Beatrice since their rather stoic conversation a few days past. She was still concerned that the young woman knew something about her why Lucy had not returned home, and now even Lydia was beginning to suspect the reasons she was being given.

"Lucy needs to return," her mother said, voice firm. "It has been too long. Your uncle is already in Lanfore, no doubt, there is no reason for her to remain there while he secures the estate for himself."

"Beatrice has not told me anything," Lydia sighed. "Something happened in Lanfore between the two of them, mother, I just know it."

"Hmph," her mother ran her hands over the table in the drawing room of their London home. She had spent many, many days holed him inside since Lydia's father passed away. "Hardly surprises me. I warned Lucy against going anywhere alone with a society girl like Beatrice."

Lydia shook her head. "I think it was more than that. Perhaps the stress of being home—"

"Nonsense, Lucy is not the one to allow such things to bother her," her mother replied swiftly. "It was why we agreed to send her instead of you. But she has been gone long enough, she needs to come home."

"Perhaps we're over thinking it, mama," Lydia tried. "Perhaps she's just up there to meet with Uncle Robert, and she will return when she can."

"Why would she want to meet with that foul man?" Her mother scoffed.

"Lucy loves Uncle Robert," Lydia reminded her. "You may have them, but the both of us have no grievances towards him. She probably wanted to be there to show him around, and will return when she does."

Even as she spoke those words, Lydia didn't believe them. She knew that Lucy had had every intention to return to London as soon as she could, and not linger too long. It could have been assumed that she had met up with James Boatwright and they were lavishing in the memories of yesteryear, but even then Lydia knew that Lucy would not have lingered. James Boatwright was merely a dear childhood friend; she knew how much their mother disproved of their coupling, if there was one at all. Even Mary Boatwright, James's mother, detested the idea. Lucy wasn't an idiot; she would not have stayed behind for James. Even the idea of her staying behind for Uncle Robert seemed outlandish at best.