Chapter 41: Lyke Wake

Chapter 41: Lyke-Wake

***TRIGGER WARNING: The last part of this chapter depicts scenes of a possible graphic nature, including assault and murder. This is a warning to those who are sensitive to the topics of assault and suicide.***

Lanfore, Hertfordshire

Robert Quincy was readying himself for bed when a knock sounded on the main doors. The footmen were readying for bed as well, yet still one came rushing to open it. As Robert fixed on a robe, the door was opened and a smartly dressed man strode in, a look of some urgency on his face.

"I need to speak with Robert Quincy," he was telling the footman.

"What do you wish to say to me at this late hour?" Robert asked apprehensively, quickly descending the steps.

The man looked up and hurried forward. "You're Lucy Quincy's uncle, right?"

"Yes, I am," Robert said, frowning. "What of it? Who are you?"

"Apologies, apologies," the man quickly bowed. "My name is Sebastian Lucas. I am a good friend to James Boatwright."

"Of course you are," Robert rested his hand on the railing of the stairs and paused on the second to last step. "Is he dead or something?"

"No, no," Sebastian shook his head. "But I suspect something about your family that the Magistrate will use against you if he finds out about it."

Robert crossed his arms over his chest. "It seems there is a lot of suspicion about my family going about. I had a woman come here not a few days ago, singing the same songs to me about secrets the Magistrate knew about Abigail."

"Yes, yes! I know that woman," Sebastian nodded. "Sir, that's Bertha Denning. She's a servant in the Magistrate's home. What she said is true, but you cannot trust her anymore. She's on the Magistrate's side now."

"Oh? But then why should I trust your word?" Robert asked, slightly bored. "You're a stranger who all but invaded my home late at night. I've half a mind to have you thrown out."

"You won't when I tell you everything I know, everything the Magistrate knows and will know!"

Robert considered it for a moment, then sighed and shrugged. "Well I am awake and you have my attention. But that may not last, so come," he gestured for Sebastian to follow him. "Tell me everything you know."

The relief on Sebastian's face caused Robert to worry. If the man was so desperate to tell him something either he was intent on deception or he was telling the truth.

Either way, Robert knew the only way to find out for sure was to hear him out.

XXX

"If you're going to do this," Bertha said, standing behind the Magistrate as he sat at his desk, head in his hands, "you have to know whom you will make your enemy."

"I am not afraid of Robert Quincy," the Magistrate whispered. "I've dealt with elites worse than him. Men that think they can walk over officers of justice simply because they have the money to buy their way out of their crimes. The Quincy family does not deserve the pomp and circumstance it has, and I want to see them fall."

"Even so," Bertha placed a hand on his shoulder, "be careful with this. Robert Quincy is not the only enemy you will be making if you reveal this secret. There is a reason I only intended for Lucy to know the truth of her mother's infidelity."

"So what do you want me to do?"

"Find the one person you want to hurt the most, and make them suffer the brunt of another's crimes," Bertha smiled. "Trust me, the feeling that comes from knowing you have power over the powerful is nothing shy of magical, but do not let it consume you. The only way people like us win is when we know exactly how to play the game they designed for us to lose."