{ Chapter 16 }

Clary's POV

"I need answers, Clary." He spoke quietly. "You owe me that much."

The urge to stand up and race back to where I was for my own good popped into my head, but I quickly pushed it down; this moment more important then anything.

I kept my gaze forward, knowing that if I looked to Issac I wouldn't be able to speak. My elaborate lies had stacked, one on top of the other until they made a uneasy tower that was now starting to tip.

I knew I was walking a thin line in this pack, I had to over-analyze everything that came out of my mouth; but it was what I did best and why I was chosen.

I heard Issac shift next to me, obviously confused at our situation. I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear that fell into my eyes and watched the river below.

"My story is one that will take a while to tell." I speak as I focus on the warmth of our hands as they continue to touch. "I'm not even sure where to start."

I can feel his eyes on me, making this much harder. What if I say everything wrong? What if I loose the one thing that has kept me grounded while being here in this unfamiliar place?

Goosebumps rise on my skin at the cold winds, the bitter air from the nearby mountains has begun to move down towards the forest and winter is approaching.

Issac's hand moves off of mine and my heart sinks, he doesn't want to hear anything I have to say, my thoughts scream.

I'm instantly brought back by him moving closer and putting his hand behind my back and leaning slightly on my shocked form.

His shoulder dips down and I hesitantly rest my head upon it, the closeness of our bodies unfamiliar yet completely perfect. I knew what my pack would say if they saw us. Traitor. Weakling. Un-pure. The beady eyes and white coats of my nightmares are instantly erased once he speaks up once more.

"I'm here to listen, I mean that's what Mates do right? They're there for each other. Something we have to work on..." Issac states.

It's hard to read his voice and I still haven't looked at him, afraid of his expression.

I guess we both are confused with the concept of Mates, I didn't think we'd ever get around to trying to figure it out. But I didn't think a lot of things when I crossed that line to come here.

I nod slowly. "I know. I'm trying, really. There's just so many things you don't know, Issac, and-"

"Then tell me." He says. He isn't bitter about it or snappy like he just was with his brother and father, but I sigh and close my eyes anyway; the reality of our conversation buzzing in my head.

"I can." A familiar voice echoes from behind us. Making our peaceful moment shatter into a million pieces.

I move away from Issac but he keeps his hand in mine. I cant help but want to pull in out, the gesture unwelcome as whoever is behind us approaches.

Tobias. His penny colored eyes are rimmed with sleeplessness and his hands are shaking slightly. He looks like he's intoxicated but so does every angry, sleep-deprived werewolf. He came out of no where and I cant shake the uneasy feeling of him listening to me and Issac's talk.

"Toby. Leave." Issac snaps.

I note all of the tight muscles on his back and shoulders; wishing I could take away all the stress I've accidently caused in his life.

"No, not until you here me out brother, and you too. I've got a feeling you'll want to stick around." He states back. The second part of his sentence obliviously aimed at me.