The Little Prince

Caspian sat and waited for hours. He paced when sitting grew dull, and tapped his foot when he got tired of pacing. 

Since he wasn't the child's father, Caspian had been forbidden from entering the hospitals room. "It would be unfit for a man not her husband, nor the child's father, to see her as such." The nurse had scolded sternly when he tried to be by Susan's side. So he waited alone, watching other's come in and out.

An older gentleman sat beside him for a while, and chatted with him about why he was here.

"My wife's getting a new supply of her medicine and seeing her physician, so I came along. Why are you here?"

Caspian fidgeted nervously. "My fiancee is giving birth, and they won't let me in to be with her because the child isn't mine."

"Isn't yours?"

"She... was taken advantage of while I was not with her."

The elderly man looked appalled. "That's horrible! People who treated woman like that deserve whatever punishment comes their way. He...was punished for it, correct."

"He's in prison now, yes." Caspian knew better than to mention it was on murder charges. 

"Well, that's good news then. My name is Charles, by the way."

"Caspian," he extended his hand to shake the man's. He had given up on trying to use a fake name, partially because of his exhaustion.

The man smiled. "It's a pleasure."

"Darling," A frail voice called as an elderly woman came into the waiting area. "I've finished. Shall we?"

"And there's my love," Charles stood up. "Be good to your girl, ya hear? She'll need someone to help her through everything."

"I love her more than life itself," Caspian replied honestly.

"Good. That's how things should be." As Charles and his wife exited, a young man and woman entered.

"Cas!" Edmund called at seeing him. "Is everything going alright? Why are you out here?"

"Not the father, not the husband, not allowed in." Frankly, it was making Caspian more upset each time he had to say it.

Isabela shook her head and sat down. "Just you see. Someday, it won't matter your relationship with the person. Anyone will be able to be in there."

Edmund scrunched his nose. "That's a disgusting thought."

"Only because you didn't drink the fourth glass, kitten." Isabela laughed. "So it's been about five hours now, right? Caspian, you must be starving. Go get yourself something from the cafe next door and then come back here."

Caspian began to protest but Isabela quieted him. "It'll be a good two hours still."

The king sighed and stood up. He was hungry, and stepping out for a few minutes could do him some good.  So much had happened that day, and now as the sun set, more still was going to happen.

A son. Susan would have her baby boy that Isabela had told her about. He smiled at the thought as he grabbed his food and sat down outside. 

"Ah! Peter, I found him!" He heard Lucy's voice call. 

Caspian turned around and saw Lucy walking quickly toward him. "Where's Susan?"

"She's in labor. Where's Peter and Tumnus?"

"Peter's out here and Tumnus stayed at the house to... clean thing up and speak with the authorities."

Caspian nodded slowly. "Care to grab some dinner before we head back to Susan?" He motioned for Lucy to join  him. 

"Peter and I stopped about an hour ago, but thank you for offering. Anyways, I'll head over there right now. Have you heard from Edmund?"

"He's there, with Isabela."

"I see. Well, I'll be seeing you shortly." Lucy hurried into the hospital, with Peter following her minutes later. 

Caspian ate his supper, then stretched. He walked back to the hospital an hour and a half after he left, and was greeted by an interesting half a phrase. "-just because he wouldn't roll over." Isabela stopped whatever she was talking about and grinned. "Just in time."

As Isabela said this, a nurse stepped into the waiting room.

"Who is here for a Miss Susan Pevensie?"

When five people glanced her way, she motioned for them to follow her. "You have ten minutes before anyone who isn't a female family member or spouse has to leave."

They nodded and entered Susan's room. A small blue bundle was in her arms and she looked up at them with a smile. "Alistair Elliot Pevensie. The Little Prince."