Late Night Coversations

Isabela sat outside the inn she was staying at. She had changed out of the costume she wore to make her job of delivering Aslan's message more fun and was now enjoying a light drink. In reality, she was just a simple, flirtatious young woman who enjoyed acting.

She had gotten mixed up in Aslan's business when she was a young girl. Sometime before the witch took over completely and the Pevensie's arrived, she had found the strange land. "You're destiny shall forever be entwined with the future kings and queens. I shall call upon you when the time comes" he had told her. This she had never forgotten.

However, the woman troubles had been something she sensed on her own. His eyes had been distant, glazed lightly. The Just King was a looker, which she had been surprised to see. Everyone had spoken of the Magnificent King's looks but little was said on the younger's appearance. Her offer to him was serious, though she knew he would not take her up on that. But which one was he with? Was it Leah or Felicity? It didn't matter anyways, so why was she thinking it?

A cough from behind her caused her to turn around. There stood the Just king, hazel eyes worn and tired looking, onyx hair a mess. It would seem he had dressed quickly, and went out to clear his mind.

"Here to take me up on my offer?" She raised and eyebrow and smirked playfully.

Edmund's face flushed. "No-no! I just-" He stammered.

"Here kitten, sit down," she motioned for him to join her on the bench. "You sure do blush easily, you know."

He ignored her and eventually got out what he wanted to say. "Did Aslan tell you who it is that will betray her? Is... is it Leah?"

Ah so it was Leah who held his affections! Wait, once again, why did it matter to her. "Sorry love, he hasn't said anything. But what else troubles you? I can tell something about this girl is eating at your heart."

"Is it that obvious?" He turned his head aside.

"You might as well carry a sign that says so."

Edmund sighed. "She's engaged. But I didn't know that, and I kissed her. Now whenever I see her I want to kiss her again, but we haven't even spoken of the first one, and she felt horrible for kissing me since she's engaged. I just can't help but think that if she was upset with me she might betray Susan."

"And this is what keeps you up this lovely night?" She knew he was hiding something.

Meeting her gaze, he shook his head. His voice dropped quietly. "I saw the White Witch in my dream. She...she told me I would have to either join with her or harm Leah."

"We don't know that Leah will be the one to betray her, kitten." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "And you won't need to side with the witch, as you have Aslan and your family to protect Susan."

Suddenly remembering what she saw earlier, Isabela changed the topic. "I hate to pry, but was James abusive to Susan?" She only knew the name thanks to Aslan providing it when filling her in.

Edmund nodded, confused by the sudden change of topic. "Yes, why?"

She sighed. "She flinches when Caspian touches her. It's not him, I can tell, but her eyes flashed with something and she tensed. I think you should talk to Susan, make sure she knows she doesn't have to fight this on her own. Also, speak with Caspian, perhaps before speaking with the gentle queen even. He needs to realize that she's still recovering, though I'm guessing when he first came she was fine. But now that the happiness of him returning has worn down to it being a normal thing, her repressed feelings are coming out."

Edmund was quiet. Had they all been oblivious to her still lingering pain and hurt?

Suddenly, Isabela let out a laugh. "You look so serious, it doesn't become you. Here," she passed her drink to him. "Take a sip and liven up, will ya?"

"You tell me my sister is suffering, and you expect me to relax?" Ed's voice was sharp.

"Well, it does no good to brood." Her eyes narrowed slightly.

"It does if someone you love is hurt." He stood up quickly. "If you'll excuse me. Goodnight, Isabela."

He walked away quickly, leaving her alone again. Her eyes were sad, though she had tried to hide it. How little her knew of her past. How little indeed.

-

"I'm here Susan," Lucy continued to soothe her sister.

"You don't know what almost happened. He..." Her voice broke.

Lucy hugged her tighter. "It was a dream. He can't hurt you now. He's locked up and will be for a long time."

"He will haunt me for the rest of my life, Lucy!" Her voice was raw as she sobbed. "I can't...  What am I supposed to do if the child looks like him? Will I have to think of the hurt, of the lies?"

Lucy let her eyes mist over. "Oh Su, why didn't you tell me? Why have you held this in so long?"

"That's what I'd like to know," a deep voice said from the doorway before the young man entered.

"Caspian?"

He strode forward, sitting next to them and taking Susan in his arms. This time, he felt the tension build with his touch. He was causing her pain, and he had never realized it before.  His eyes flashed in sadness, and he loosened his hold on his beloved.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he was choked up, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

Lucy silently excused herself from the room, and sat outside the door, leaving them to talk.

"I didn't want to burden you more... You have already done so much for me..."

Caspian tried to look her in the eye, but she kept her face down. He gently cupped her face, allowing him to meet her gaze. "Susan, you're not a burden. Nothing is a burden. If you were having flashbacks to pain caused by -him- you should have told me." He sighed, unsure of what he could do to comfort her without causing memories to surface in her mind. Slowly, he leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "I apologize for not realizing sooner what my actions were causing you to remember. I was too caught up in the fact that I had you back. Forgive me?"

Susan's crying slowed. "You shouldn't have to apologize. It's not your fault. I'm damaged, Caspian. Are you sure you're okay with that?"

He placed his hand square on her shoulders. "I love you, Susan, and i can say for fact that you are not damaged, You are not what that man did to you. You are the same, strong, beautiful woman I fell in love with. And I will do whatever you need me to do to help you."

Susan hugged him. "Thank you. I really don't deserve you."

Caspian didn't know how to respond, so he instead took comfort in the fact this embrace didn't cause her pain and held her until the tears stopped. She fell asleep with his arms around her, and he too fell asleep. 

This is the scene Edmund returned to after going to see Isabela. His sister and best friend holding each other, both asleep yet faces still fresh with tears, and his other sister sleeping in the hallway, clearly having been listening to Susan and Caspian speak.

He shook his head lightly, knowing now that the conversation he was supposed to have with both Susan and Caspian was unnecessary. Climbing into bed, he hoped his dreams would torment him no more.