Violent side comes out to play

Mary, you’re the talk of the town! I can’t believe you!” Vivian squealed out of the handset.

Mary inched the phone away from her ear with a grimace, she would like to keep her two ears, thanks.

“That was so awesome! I can’t believe you slapped him though! If it was me, I’d probably cut off his balls with my nail scissors!” The pixie faced girl exclaimed with a sinister chuckle.

Mary was beginning to doubt her friend’s sanity; “I thought you liked him?” She frowned.

“Did I?” Vivian muttered.

Mary simply snorted in response.

“Okay, he was hot.” She admitted with a groan.

Smirking, Mary fell into her soft bed in the form of a starfish. “What do you think he’s going to do?” She asked, not even bothering to mask the small wisp of anxiousness in her tone.

Vivian, as sharp as always, caught on rather quickly. “Don’t worry about it. No matter what happens, you’ve got me and your family right behind you.” She said sincerely.

Mary chuckled at the irony of things; a week ago she didn’t even have a pair of pants without holes, nevertheless a family! Now she was living in a mansion with maids, with a best friend who truly cared for her.

“Why are you laughing that horrible dry laugh, and after my sentimental speech too?” Vivian snapped in mock anger.

Mary burrowed her face into the soft 1000 thread count silk Egyptian covers, amusement making her eyes bled with tears. “You just made me cry.” She exclaimed, wiping the moisture from her eyes. It was the truth after all, tears from laughter.

“Crying from falling on your ass laughing, probably. Don’t think I didn’t hear you!” Vivian remarked.

Even Mary couldn’t stop the grin that now blossomed on her face, she really knew her too well.

***

All day, all day Mary had to endure the jokes and snide comments about her, all because she dared to slap Victor Wilde.

Touching a girl’s chest without her permission was probably normal then. In fact, a few catty cheerleaders even told her that if Victor touched their chest, they would’ve fainted, not slap him like an idiot like she did.

But to Mary’s absolute amazement, it was discovering the fact that she had created a new trend. Already, a few girls had passed her in the hallway, all with short messy hair, fake plastic glasses, and trousers instead of skirts. The only difference was; while they continuously paraded around the pervert, Mary was doing her best to avoid him as much as possible.

Heart-warmingly, Vivian also stayed true to her word, shooting icy glares to whoever spoke badly about Mary. It hardly changed anything though, not when her face was as aggressive as a new born kitten.

It was around 4th period when Mary decided she had enough, being subjected to the torments of her classmates every second was uncalled for, and unfair, when the only thing she had done was protect herself from that chest touching pervert.

Storming across the corridors, Mary literally had fire running through her veins, but all of that immediately faltered the moment her eyes landed on Marc.

Her heart started hammering at an unhealthy rate, and her throat threatened to dry up at the sight of him, he was that gorgeous.

But Victor Wilde had to come along, blocking her view of him completely. “What the hell are you doing here?” He barked.

Mary raised her head to look at him, and the moment her gaze connected with his, they both blushed from memory.

Quickly averting his eyes, Victor scowled. “If you’re looking for an apology, then forget it.” He gave her body a distasteful glance; “and are you sure you’re a girl? Because girls definitely don’t look like this.”

Mary felt her fists clench and gut wrench at his harsh words. It was nothing new, so why was she letting it affect her so much? “What a pretty face...” She muttered purposely, dragging her eyes up from his chiselled jaw to his bronzed and pronounced cheekbones, all the way up to the roots of his messily tousled auburn hair.

Victor grinned smugly, his face shining with arrogance at her remark, he was so caught up in the compliment that he didn’t have time to prepare for what came next, when Mary’s fist came pummelling towards his nose. “Fuck!” He cursed, clutching his nose in pain. Pulling a hand away from his rapidly swelling facial element, Victor roared upon seeing his own blood splattered on his palm.

“You better run if you don’t want to die.” Marc whispered to Mary. As Victor’s best friend, he wasn’t angry at all, instead he was finding the current situation highly amusing.

“Shit!” Mary swore, then she jumped and darted hurriedly down the hallway, without once looking back.

***

To say Mary was anxious – was an understatement. She was practically peeing her pants with anxiety. Punching Victor in the face was probably the stupidest thing she’d ever done, she didn’t even want to know what twisted revenge he was planning right now.

Suddenly, somebody dragged her into a classroom, slamming the door shut behind them. Mary was about to scream, but a large hand smothered her mouth.

Tilting her head up to glare at her assaulter, she found a familiar pair of chilling gray pupils. Of course – it was him.

Victor removed his hand the moment he was sure she wasn’t going to shriek, making a point  to wipe his hand on his blazer too, he took a step closer to her, close enough that they could feel the heat radiating off each other’s bodies.

Gripping both of her arms tightly, Victor suddenly lowered his head and leaned towards her, Mary squeezed her eyes shut in terror, thinking he was going to do something totally absurd like kiss her. But to her relief, she felt his breath roughly caress her right cheek instead.

“This is just the beginning.” He hissed, and practically shoved her away from him.

Mary watched him walk away with her jaw wide open. Her heart was pounding loudly in her ears, but it was his words that kept ringing like a bell in her head.

“It’s just the beginning? The beginning of what???”

***

“The beginning of you and Victor’s relationship.” Vivian sighed dreamily, clasping her hands together in a trance.

Mary snorted in response, she had just finished telling her about her run-in with him, and Vivian was being far from helpful, with her romantic and suggestive possibilities.

“What? He’s hot and you’re no- Cute. You’re cute. You guys would be the perfect couple!” She clapped excitedly.

“Let’s not forget I gave him a nose bleed yesterday...No, not that kind! What’s with that perverted look on your face?” Mary sighed with a frown.

“Okay, well if you want to be realistic....He’s declaring war.” Vivian gave her a pointed look.

“War? I thought we were in the 21st century!” She exclaimed in bewilderment.

Slapping a hand to her forehead at her friends utter naivety, Vivian rolled her eyes. “It means he’s duelling you, but since you’re a girl, he won’t fight you. He will only use other means until you are willing to admit defeat.”

“Don’t even think about it! Admitting defeat almost always leads to immediate expulsion.”  Vivian scolded, catching the hopeful look on her face.  

“Well what do I do now then?” Mary whimpered helplessly.

Relax, I’ll help you as much as I can. Just avoid him if you can, and be extra careful.” Vivian gave her a weak smile.

“Why does that not sound any more comforting?” Mary tugged a hand through her bird nest hair wearily.

“I’m sorry Mary.” Vivian shrugged sympathetically.

***