Her first impressions

Frivissen High was not a private school by name, but was pretty much up there with its outrageous school fees and snobby student population.

There was a uniform too; a dark royal blue blazer with a white designer shirt underneath, and light gray slacks. The girls had an alternative, a skirt – which everyone wore except Mary.

Mary clambered up the steps to the school with a smile, she was in a maddening good mood and not even Clarice shoving her aside, could bring it down.

“Hey Mary!” Someone called.

Mary looked up to see Vivian perched on the school roof, legs dangling as she waved. “Come up!” Vivian yelled.

Mary was there in a matter of minutes. Back in her past life, Aunt Faith would never let her and Joshua anywhere near her car, so Mary had always walked to places. Ironically, it was also all thanks to her Aunt now, that she grew up to be so independent, never relying on others for anything.

“First period doesn’t start yet.” Vivian chirped happily.

Mary nodded, taking a seat next to her new friend, while simultaneously taking in the view below them. “Wow, you can see everyone from here.” She observed, gesturing wildly towards the floods of students that were currently piling in through the gates.

“Mary, Mary! You’ve got to watch this!” Vivian suddenly squealed, pointing towards the roaring black motorcycle that was speeding through the entrance at a frightening fast velocity.

Mary squeezed her eyes shut as the gleaming black surface of the motorbike reflected the hot rays of the sun. Wheels squeaking, the driver ricocheted up the marble white steps of the school with his shiny vehicle.

She wasn’t the only one with her mouth hanging open. Gazing around, Mary found all the students had dropped their conversations just to focus on the daring new arrival.

“That’s Victor Wilde.” Vivian hissed, just as the driver ripped off his helmet; revealing a headful of messily tousled dark auburn hair.

As if sensing he had an extra audience, Victor casted his eyes up towards the school terrace, momentarily locking gazes with Mary.

Mary only had time to briefly assess his stony gray irises, before he flicked his head away disinterestedly, and walked inside.

***

Mary had no words to spare for that boy. His entrance was certainly empowering, and he had that powerful aura that came naturally with his presence.

When Mary finally glanced at her friend however, Vivian’s eyes were glazed. The pixie girl’s cheeks were also tinted with a faint shade of pink; her brown pupils glowing with admiration.

“Somebody has a crush.” Mary teased, giggling at the dreamy expression on her friend’s face.

“Shut up!” Vivian snapped good-naturedly, but she didn’t try to deny it. “Besides it’s not like it’s a secret. All the girls in the school have a crush on him. Victor or Marc, anyway.” She stated.

“Marc?” Mary frowned, squinting at the courtyard to see if she could spot another guy making a grand entrance with his motorcycle.

Vivian let out a snigger, “you won’t find Marc on a motorcycle. Apparently, he hates the way the wind messes up his hair.”

Mary opened her mouth to answer, but stopped when her eyes caught sight of a sparkling white limousine, engraved with gold.

It was too far away for her to make out the words, but Mary did not doubt it was the initials of another wealthy family.

The Taylors also had a limousine just like it, but in azure. Will thought it was too flashy though, so the old couple only reserved it for special occasions. So normally for trips to town and such, they used their town car – a metallic crimson Mercedes.

Mary didn’t understand. Half the students arrived to school in limousines and luxury coupes, it wasn’t anything special, so why was majority of the school crowding around the white limo, waiting for the person to come out?

When the greying Chauffer finally went to open the door of the passenger’s side, Mary’s eardrums nearly exploded from the intensity of the shrieks from the girls.

She finally understood why, when a prince stepped out.

He might not be a prince by blood, but he certainly was – looks wise.

“That’s Marc St James.” Vivian proclaimed with an appreciative whistle, “Frivissen High’s very own Apollo.”

A herd of females had already created a steady circle around him, as soon as he stepped out of the car.

Mary studied him as he ascended the staircase; each step was taken with grace, and just his physique seemed to ooze with class. The funny thing was; although Marc was dressed no differently than the others, he looked like he had just stepped out of a fashion shoot, with his shiny leather shoes, and tall and toned frame.

Mary shook her head fervently, she knew better than to have a crush on the school’s prince, despite what her blushing cheeks were trying to tell her. But with no doubt, with his golden hair and aristocratic face, Marc St James had probably stolen a lot of girls’ hearts, just by smiling.

A strong shake of her shoulders sent her tumbling back into reality.

“Hello, earth to Mary! I’ve been calling your name for the last 30 seconds!” Vivian grumbled, her brown eyes flashing with impatience.

“Sorry.” Mary apologised, blinking rapidly to clear her thoughts.

“Let’s go, it’s time for class.” Vivian gestured over her shoulder towards the exit.

Mary simply nodded, her mind still caught on the two boys she saw before.

To the right is Marc St James>>

***