Definition of Jealousy

“Regardless of what Mr Thompson said, I still don’t think that nuclear bombs could activate – ” Mary was arguing with Vivian before she suddenly froze in mid sentence. Victor was storming towards her, a determined expression on his chiselled face.

Taking a deep breath, Mary closed her eyes in submission, she was ready for this. “Look, I’m sorry about – Ah!” She stumbled as he shouldered past her coldly.

Too shocked to say anything, Mary felt a raw sensation throb in her chest, it was like somebody had stabbed her in the heart with a blunt knife.

“Hey!” Vivian shrieked at him.

Mary immediately shoved a hand against her friend’s mouth, trying to muffle the vicious foreseeable outburst, aka Vivian’s fiery temper.

Jerking, Vivian slipped out of her grasp just as Victor turned around. “Don’t you dare push her around you asshole!” She barked infuriately.

The chilly emotionless expression on his face hardened into marble, “What did you just say?” He growled.

Mary nudged her frantically but Vivian was too caught up in her own anger to notice. “I’m sorry; do I need to spell it out for you?” She sneered. “A.H? Does that ring a bell? Your initials?”

Although the situation was far from funny, Mary couldn’t help but giggle, Vivian could be incredibly witty when she wanted to be.

Victor however, thought otherwise.  Glowering irately instead, his gray pupils stormed with rage and opening his mouth, he was about to reply when the doors to the hallway suddenly flew open.

“Oh Victor baby!” A shrill voice cried out, and before anyone could register what was happening, a blonde spur ran up to him and locked their arms around his neck, choking him in fruity perfume.

Mary and Vivian both stared gobsmacked at the flamboyant new arrival. She was a student no doubt; dressed in school uniform but with the provocative way she was wearing it, she would’ve given a nun a nosebleed. With her skirt hiked up precariously, open blazer and half buttoned shirt, she showcased enough cleavage to make a prostitute proud.  

Leaning away from him to smile, she air-kissed both of his cheeks loudly, lingering a bit longer than what was necessary. “I’ve missed you so much!” She cooed. “À la maison just wasn’t the same without you!”

“Annalise?” Victor’s deep voice rumbled out tentatively.

“Who else, silly?” The girl grinned back with a teasing smile on her lips.

For some unknown reason, Mary felt a scorching hot sensation burn through her veins at the flirtation in her tone.

“When did you arrive and how long are you staying?” Victor grumbled.

“What, you don’t want me here?” She pouted teasingly in a deep French accent. Releasing her hold on him, Annalise finally stepped back and shifted her gaze to Mary. As if sensing the tension, she raised one perfectly arched eyebrow at her.  “And who are you?” The gorgeous girl sniffed.

Victor remained silent with only the tick in his jaw betraying his impassive expression. It wasn’t until Vivian nudged Mary with her elbow, did she break out of her trance to reply.

“Umm hi, nice to meet you, my name is Mary.”

 “Whatever!” Annalise snapped rudely at her, then turning to Victor she fluttered her eyelashes seductively.“So are you surprised? – I told daddy that I must come here or I will not attend maman and his stupid 17th anniversary this year…” She ranted.