Mary's Innocence

Mary Pemberton was no supermodel. In fact at five foot one, she was quite short for her eighteen years of age. Plus crooked glasses and a nonexistent chest area, she was often mistaken as one of the boys. Her short and messy haircut didn’t help her femininity either, well if she had any to begin with that is.

To shorten it down to a few words, Mary was plain. Though even the plainest people have outstanding features, somewhere.

In Mary’s case it was her eyes; vivid violet with sapphire flecks, there was nothing more magical. It had the capability to suck you in; capturing you in its immersing colours and immeasurable depth. Too bad she covered her one best feature with a pair of thick long-sighted glasses.

Pushing the heavy lenses further up the ridge of her nose, Mary studied her new timetable while students jostled past her. She blended in perfectly, that was exactly how unnoticeable she was.

“Excuse me, could you tell me where the advanced English class is?” She tapped a gangly ginger-haired boy on the shoulder.

His dull green eyes lingered on her distastefully for a second. “Straight down to the right.” He scowled, before storming off.

Mary watched his bean-like stature disappear into the throng of people; her gratitude was still hanging at the end of her tongue. Not that he was going to hear it, seeing he had already vanished.

“Friendly people.” She muttered cynically with a frown. Lugging her short legs behind her, Mary stretched a hand out to brush her fringe away from her eyes, pausing in the middle of the hallway.

“Hey watch it!” Somebody shouted, shocking her out of her reverie. 

Instinctively, Mary flattered herself against the lockers as two skinny guys passed, holding a piece of glass. Paddling towards the classroom on the right, she stopped to take a deep breath, and plastering a bright smile on her face, she pulled open the door.

It was like someone died in there, much to Mary’s disappointment.

The classroom was barely filled, with a few students splayed out on their desks, either sleeping or slapping flies. The teacher was also nowhere to be seen; only a pea green coat stood in their place, the lone evidence of their dulling existence.

There were a few girls too however, one who’s hair was like a weave of gold thread. Mary’s eyes lit up in admiration as she stared at the golden waterfall, there was no such thing as jealousy in her dictionary.

“Quit staring, you creep!” The girl swiftly turned around to glare at her.

Mary blushed and waved a hand awkwardly in apology; “sorry.” She stammered timidly.

The girl merely scowled in response, her eyes a shallow blue that could never compare with violet. And with a perfect flick of her hair, the blonde turned back to her friends in a hushed whisper.

“Don’t worry about her; Clarice has always been a bitch.” A squeaky voice spoke up.

Mary glanced to her right, and saw a Pixie faced girl smiling back at her. Shocked and pleasantly surprised at the kind courtesy after her rude morning, Mary scuttled towards her with a large smile; “I’m Mary.” She beamed.

“Vivian.” The girl grinned back and gestured towards the empty seat beside her.

Dropping her backpack on the floor, Mary plopped down on the wooden chair.

“So what bring you to Frivissen?” Vivian drawled curiously, placing her small face on her palms.

“No special reason. My new foster parents are here.” Mary bluntly answered.

Vivian’s sharp facial features immediately twisted into a look of regret; “I’m sorry.” She apologised, lowering her head bashfully.

Mary simply blinked before a small frown took place instead. “There’s nothing to be sorry for.” She assured with a smile.

The pixie faced girl snapped her head up so fast, that it was a miracle her neck didn’t break. “Mary, you’re so nice!” She blubbered with moist eyes.

Mary chuckled at the compliment; “I –“

“We have a new student?” A gruff withering voice interrupted her.

Both girls instantly whipped their heads towards the doorway, where an elderly man stood with greying whiskers and a two week beard.

“That’s Mr Frank, he’s a grumpy old stout with drinking problems. I’ll even bet you $100 there’s a whiskey flask in the second drawer in his desk!” Vivian whispered fiercely.

Mary straightened up immediately as Mr Franks aging face suddenly appeared in front of her.

“Are you Mary Pemberton?” He asked, his alcohol tinted breath fanning down her face.

Gaining full frontal view of his yellowing teeth, Mary blinked twice. “Yes sir.” She cringed.

The elderly man studied her for a second, his overly bushy white specked eyebrows furrowing in thought. “I could’ve sworn it was a boy before. Blundering butter-sticks, I gotta stop drinking in the morning!” He muttered quietly to himself, before walking away.

Mary shrugged her shoulders dismissively at the comment, since it wasn’t the first time this had happened. Her shaggy, boyish haircut seemed to dispel all signs of femininity within her.

“What an asshole! I can’t believe he said that!” Vivian scowled deeply, glaring a hole at the teacher’s head.

“It’s fine.” Mary smiled. In fact, it was a little strange to find someone so protective of her feelings. 

With a sigh, Vivian shook her head wearily; “Mary, I swear sometimes you’re too nice for your own good.”

***