Chapter 30: The Truth

“There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” 
― Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral's Kiss

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                 Nathan POV

Watching my my pack mate scream, clutching her head while Grey and I attempted to calm her down, angered my tiger.

Feeling helpless wasn't an emotion we enjoyed.

Taking a leaf out of my mate's book, I pressed a pressure point at the back of Ruby's neck and she blacked out, much like one of those bastards who'd tried to hurt my mate not too many nights ago.

Anger coiled deep within me as I thought of that night.

Ignoring my emotions, I looked at Grey, who was looking back at me, waiting for my command.

"Get her to Nell. She'll take care of her." I said.

Grey nodded, carefully lifting Ruby up and heading down the corridors.

Four other tigers rushed out of their rooms to join him on the way, like I'd ordered them to.

Standing up, I ran my hands through my hair.

Dammit.

I had close to no information about who was targeting Indy like this.

None of the guys who'd attacked us outside the club knew shit. They were hired unprofessionals doing their work for money.

Dead ends. No matter which way I turn, I faced a fu-

"Nathan."

My eyes widened and I turned to look at Indy, who'd stepped out of my room.

God, I knew she was strong. But as she stood in front of me with her arms open and my shirt just hitting her below her thighs, all I could see was that I needed to protect her.

And I would. From anything that dared even think to harm her.

Letting out a low groan, I pulled her into my arms, running my hands up and down her back. . . Offering her comfort even as I drew the same from her presence.

"Is she okay?"

I let out a breath, looking up at the ceiling.

"She will be." I said.

I felt my mate nod in acknowledgment.

"Hey, Nate?" She whispered.

I tightened my arms around her, fisting my fingers in her hair.

"Yeah?"

"I'm freezing my ass off here. Can we go back in?" She said as she leaned back and threw me a wobbly grin.

Letting out a snort, I picked her up and walked into my room, shutting the door behind me with just a thought.

Hell, it was awesome being a Mover.

When I placed her carefully on the bed and tucked her in beside Me Me, she pulled me forward by hooking her fingers in my belt loops.

"It's my fault, isn't it?" She asked, her amber eyes glittering with guilt. 
"No." I said firmly. "None of this is your fault. Don't even think like that, you hear me?"