Chapter 28: Miracle

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” 
― Albert Einstein

Side note: That guy has said some seriously kick-ass stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was his problem? What more did he want from me?

I gritted my teeth harder, screwed my eyes shut and took a deep breath in. Held it in then let it out slowly. Praying and hoping for some control that seemed to elude me right now.

I hadn’t heard any door open or close so I know he was still in the room. Composing myself further, I pulled whatever shirt came to my hand and took of my clothes and donned on only his (black, duh) shirt. It hit my thighs and really, right now I didn’t care how much of skin I was showing. I ran my fingers through my hair as I walked into his bathroom. Shutting the door and locking it behind me, I walked to the sink resting my hand against it and looking into the mirror.

My amber eyes looked crazed and somehow I looked older.

In ways, maybe I was.

Brushing my mouth with my purple brush and splashing my face with water, I walked out of the room, not even the least bit ready to face him.

I walked out into the bedroom and saw Nathan sitting slouched on the bed with his fists pressed to his shut eyes. He was still shirtless.

When he heard me, he stiffened. When he looked up his eyes widened and he cursed. Stopped, I glared at him.

He looked away swiftly and stood facing away from me.

“Way to boost my ego.” I muttered.

He looked at me over his shoulder.

“I think I’m going to out for a while. I’ll be back before midnight.” he said and starting to leave.

“Are you going to see Ruby?”

As soon as I said it, I wanted to pull it back. But it slipped out and really I deserved to know.

He spun to look at me.

“Why would I go to her?”

I let out a bitter laugh.

“Isn’t that where you always freaking go when something happens between us?” I asked, not able to keep the resentment out of my voice.

He didn’t say anything, just continued to stare at me.

Annoyed and somehow embarrassed, I said “I’m just going to go to my room-”

“No.”

“Yeah, like I care what you think.” I snapped at him.

“I was going to shift and run. I wasn’t going to Ruby. Why would I want Ruby when I could have you?”

“Don’t ask me that, ask your damn self. I’m done here, Nathan, I don’t know what you want me to do when you just stopped yourself from marking me. I’m sorry; maybe it’s okay for you. But it’s not for me. Rejection is not my forte.” A damn tear slid out.

Nathan’s face cracked from its stillness.

“Baby, don’t-”

“Just shut up, Nathan. Just shut the hell up.” and even to me, my voice sounded cold but broken.