Chapter 24: His Petting And My Decision

“So much of the language of love was like that: you devoured someone with your eyes, you drank in the sight of him, you swallowed him whole. Love was substance, broken down and beating through your bloodstream.”
― Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sighed. 

God, she was like an itch that kept coming back.

I was ready to snap something back at her when Nathan pressed a kiss to both my cheeks, entwining his hand with mine. He lifted it to his mouth and kissed all my fingers.

“God. Nathan. That’s so hot. But we’ve done some seriously hotter stuff…wanna start off where we stopped yesterday?” she-devil said, sneering in our-correction, my- direction.

I threw her a glare, while ripping my hands free from Nathan’s. But he caught me fast around the waist and pressed me to him, smiling down at me like Ruby wasn’t standing behind him in a short black tight dress, with shimmering blonde hair and a sneer on her face.

“Tell me again.”

I glowered at my mate as he blinked down at me lazily. I wiggled around in his embrace.

“Nathan. I can’t play your games. Let me go please.”

“You’re lying.” he whispered in my ear, his warm breath raising goose bumps on my skin.

“I’m sorry, how does my reply and your answer have any connection whatsoever?” I asked, snappily.

“You don’t want me to let you go, baby. You love me remember?” he said, smiling down at me, proudly.

“Don’t remind me.” I grumbled at him, still squirming.

Ruby came forward, placing a hand on my mate’s back.

“Is it the fight that turns you on? Do you want me to fight you in-”

I ripped away from Nathan to launch myself at her and claw her eyes out of her face. But Nathan wrapped his arms around me and lifted me off my feet. Gravity caused me to lean back on Nathan’s chest.

Dammit.

“What do you want, Ruby?” he asked while placing me behind him and wrapping his hands around my waist when he noticed that I took a step towards Ruby.

“You.” she said, licking her lips.

I think I just puked in my mouth.

“Nice to see what you chosen over me.” I said and turned on my heel to get away from him as fast as possible.

Nathan followed close, his hands continuously seeking out to touch me no matter how much I protested.

“What are you talking about, Indy?” he said, annoyance seeping into his tone at my continuous pushing at his hands.

Seriously? What was I talking about?

I whipped to face him, and saw that Ruby was following us with a smug smile on her face.

“Choose. Me or her?” I said in a steely voice to him.

“You.” he said as soon as I finished.

I looked at Ruby, who had clenched her jaw in anger.

Good.

Satisfaction crept into me and I knew it was evident on my face.