Chapter 13: Platinum Surprises

“A wonderful gift may not be wrapped as you expect.” 

― Jonathan Lockwood Huie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan was staring out of the window in the bus at the trees and the mountains as they wizzed past us at seventy kilometers per hour. His left hand resting along the seat behind and his thumb was rubbing soothing circles on my shoulder. His other hand, however, was inbetween both of mine. I was playing with his fingers, rubbing the pads of mine against his short, smooth nails. His fingers were perfect. Long, thick, tanned and smooth. 

I placed my left hand and against his, palm to palm and frowned. His were so big. My fingers were small and thin.

"They're beautiful." Nathan said pressing a kiss to my temple, seeming to guess the direction of my thoughts.

I made a face, but didn't reply. I just continued to knot my fingers in his. He turned his gaze back to the window and we resumed into a comfortable silence with secret glances filled with something that couldn't be explained in words.

"Indigo." a warm, somehow familiar voice said. 

My head jerked up instinctively to meet Scott's blue eyes. Before I could reply, Scott's eyes left mine to clash with Nathan's.

"Stripe." Scott said, with a nod at Nathan as acknowledgement.

"May I sit?" Scott asked, gesturing to the seat opposite Nathan and me.

Nathan stretch his legs onto the seat and crossed them at his ankles lazily.

"Sorry, taken." Nathan said.

Scott smirked.

"Since you have a mate you are yet to Mark, I'll ignore that." he said, grinning down at me.

I raised my eyebrows as Nathan let out a low growl.

"Find someone else's mate to annoy, Scott." Nathan said dryly.

Scott just grinned at him, undeterred.

"No one else out there like her."  Scott said, winking down at me.

I shook my head while Nathan spoke. 

"Damn straight. Now scoot. Go away."

Scott snickered and Nathan looked up to meet his eyes in challenge. I saw a sudden flash of fear in Scott's eyes, before he swallowed and looked away.

"I wasn't here to make trouble or issue a challenge for your mate. I just came to say hi to Indy." he muttered.

"You came. Pissed me off. Said hi to my mate. Mission accomplished. Now leave." Nate said.

I rolled my eyes and backhanded my mate on his chest.

"Hey, Scott." I said.

He turned and left, as if he couldn't go away faster.

"Um, bye Scott." I muttered.

I turned to look at my mate with narrowed eyes.

He raised an eyebrow at my suspicious expression.

Had he used the Alpha Tone thing on Scott? Nathan just widened his eyes in innocence.

"You're one bad tiger, Stripe." I said, leaning in to press a kiss to his jaw. When I leaned back, his eyes were dancing in amusement.