Chapter Forty-Five: East: Greater Numbers

Adric handed me my bag and I slung it over my shoulder, suddenly noticing how soar my body was from constantly moving. "Thanks," I mutter.

His hand points in the direction of one of the hovercrafts and I jump into it. It was big enough for quite a few soldiers, but it moved quickly despite its size. I sat down in between two men. Their faces were pointed straight ahead; they were emotionless. I, on the other hand, was excited. Today was going to be my first real battle against West. My grin seemed out of place.

"Well, I'm Anya," I mutter aimlessly.

"Nicholas," the guy on my right stated. His hair was brushed to one side, and his skin was quite tanned.

"Xander," the one on my left replied. He sat taller than anyone else here. His skin was very white and he had long, black, and dreadlocked hair which was pulled into a ponytail at the back of his neck.

"Erm, first time as soldiers, or..." I drawled off. I felt really awkward in between them. I couldn't tell whether they were listening or not.

"This is all of our second year on the job," A girl called from a chair across me, and beside her sat Mae. "I'm Kristen." She twirled her red-dyed hair around her finger.

"So I don't count do I?" Mae infused, "Or Nicholas? He's my year too."

"Well- I saw her visiting with you this morning. I assumed Anya already knew your year, and I sorta forgot about Nicholas," Kristen said with fumbling words.

"You?" Xander asked, turning towards me. His desire to change the topic was more clear than if he'd admitted it out loud.

"First," I responded with a bit of hesitation. I felt a pressure raining down on me. It seemed almost everyone I met was a higher year than I was. The only first years I had seen so far were Jace, and Rhett whom I'd met yesterday.

"I've met a couple others of your own. I feel like you're all a decent batch of men and women," Nicholas mused.

"Thanks?" I asked as I rose my eyebrow.

"Yes, it's a complement," he replied, laughing.

"Where is Rhett, Mae?" I asked curiously, noticing his absence.

"Probably just on a different hover. No need to worry about him. I'll find him once we reach wherever this place is. Since I requested it, I was able to be my little brother's trainer. Which- by the way- you should really do if given the chance. It's tons of fun ordering people around," Mae responded with a mischievous grin.

"You've got Adric don't you? Or does the General's son have an out-placed love for a student?" Kristen questioned me with a vigorous tone.

"He-he's just my mentor thingy for these last two sections of Refinement. Nothing like that," I mutter, trying to picture a desired outcome where my face didn't explode into a blushing red like it tended to.

"Okay, good then. The kid doesn't need relationships effecting him in my opinion. None of us do. He's better off as a leader," Mae responded unexpectedly. She had a glazed look to her golden eyes which had turned acid-like.

"Why do you have such a strong standing on that topic? I've a girl, and I wouldn't trade her for anything," Nicholas snickered.

"Well good for you," Kristen moaned, rubbing her forehead with her hand.

Xander turned towards me. "Don't mind Mae. She's gone through trouble enough in her past," he told me thoughtfully. Then he quickly added, "Or so I've been told."

I racked my mind, asking what could have happened to her when Nicholas spoke, "It's all because of that guy you met in Refinement isn't it? I can't believe you've still not let him go. It's been so many years, Mae."