Chapter Nine: East: Weapons

Anya~ East (Russia)                        

I carried my breakfast selection of eggs, grapes, and a glass of chocolate milk to the table where all my friends were sitting. I couldn't stop wishing that what Lauren told me was just a bad dream just like the screams I kept hearing last night. It was hard to accept the reality that Sabreena had been here before and thus was sent home. She had dealt with being sent home before so I guess it wasn't a hard decision. I admired her for her courage to come back though.

I took a seat across from Lauren and beside Sam. I felt like boasting about the great score I had received for  the physical part of the tests. It was way past good enough to make it through that level of training.  

Soon the blond haired boy, Eryn sat beside me. He held out his hand for me to shake.

 "My name's Eryn. I'm friends with Mathen and Jace."

Both of whom sat down across from us.

"Morning.",  Mathen muttered.

"Well what's up with you?" I started peeling the skin off of my grapes.

He shook his head. "No sleep. Next door Lauren was reading aloud. You'd think that listening to books about war in monotone would bore you to sleep, but unfortunately I have to be amused with that sort of stuff."

Forget everything else. Lauren actually read a book? That was shocking.

Lauren rolled her eyes sarcastically. "I can try to be smart sometimes. Weapons is today. I just wanted to get an idea of what we would be using them for."

"Ooh. Really? Weapons. That's a relief. Yesterday almost killed me.", I sighed gratefully.

After I was labeled and found out about Sabreena I had to go back to training. It wasn't too bad, but I definitely never want to do it again.

Jace yawned and blinked his eyes a few times to wake up. "Yeah? If it almost killed you then everyone else is past death. You were exceptionally good."

"That's not entirely true. Plus. Steph probably went easier on me since I had my hand cut open and all."

I know I probably sounded too modest which only made matters worse, and I secretly was pleased that the best thought of me that way. I shouldn't have felt that way, but nobody ever thought much of me until now. Maybe I just never had the chance to prove to myself how strong I really was.

Sam raised an accusing eyebrow at me. It was kind of unsettling. "She actually pushed you harder Anya. You really are good. Now. Let's head on to our training room. Steph is going to be waiting for us."

We agreed and stood up. I didn't know where it was so I followed everyone else closely. I seemed to be getting the hang of all of this. At least I could make it from my room to the cafeteria. Hey, that was more than I ever expected to.

We walked through a part of the base that I had never been to before. It was a bit uncomfortable though. We walked over it all across a flat bridge, but there weren't any rails and it was a story from the base floor. You could see allot from here though. It was incredible how huge the place was. There were lights everywhere and buildings. Apartments, stores, and training facilities. It was like a refuge for people before they were sent to fight. A Heaven before Hell.

I took in a large breath upon entering the training room. I was going to make the best of practice because one day or another there would be something I wouldn't be capable of doing, and I wanted to make it through this. Not because I wanted to fight, but I wanted to make my brother proud.