Chapter Twenty-Nine: East: The Elimination

Anya~ East (Russia)                        

I was back with Cassi, putting on my uniform. It fit perfectly. It was dark green. It was a tank top with a vest covered in pockets and attachment hooks with a flexible material for tight fitted pants. On my thigh a knife was sewn into a special pocket that if taken out would rip a hole in your pants so that was a reminder of its emergency only usage. On the knees there were black leather patches. In addition to the clothing part I got a black belt that had holders for multiple handguns, knives, and had a spot for extra ammo. Connected to a strap on my back was a holder for a longer gun like a rifle. Underneath it was a small compartment for a roll of rope. My last line of defense was concealed in my hand gloves which had finger holes. It was a lethal pill. Just in case things came down to torture. I pulled on black boots and laced them up just below my knees. The bottoms looked excellent for gripping to all kinds of terrain.

I smiled at my success. The outfit was excellent. I ran out of the changing room and up to Cassi to get her opinion.

She hugged me. "You look great. Want to check it out in the mirror?"

"No," I said, "I'd rather not. I don't need last minute reservations on the excitement. Am I ready to go now?" I rocked on my feet impatiently.

"Just one more thing," She said. Her face flickered between nervousness and encouragement.

She put her hand into her pocket and then pulled out a small, shiny, golden, emblem. She pinned it to my black vest. The she smiled. It showed me fakery, her smile not reaching her eyes. It was the shape of the Taj Mahal, except without the decaying roof, and fading colors. In the middle was a bird, decorated with jewels, vibrant colors, and a crown sprouting from its head, holding two snakes between its vicious talons, which were curled together at the tail. Engrained across the bird's chest and wings, were the ancient symbols 

Храбрость.

"The ancient russian word means bravery. The bird there-holding the two crossed snakes- that represents us overtaking West, coming back stronger, harder, braver, and then rising richer than they would have ever been; holding their lives in our hands. Powerful. That's what we'll be one day soon. Trust me, you won't be living here long. Not that it's bad here, it's quite incredible actually," she said quietly. "Sit down on the metal bed again."

I did as she said. My feet compliant, but not my mind. I was tired of her charades. Her empty words. Her full lies. There seemed to be more going on with this whole war than I realized. My suspicions rose, but I pushed them away because I was horrified at the thought.

I sat down obediently. Subconsciously straightening my back. Manipulating my mind to behave.

I felt her tug at my short hair and that didn't put me in a better mood. I was just frustrated with people. Not all of them. Just the ones who knew more than I did about this cursed war I fought for. Especially the leader of Russia. He never even showed his face to the public. I cannot imagine how hard it is for Adric to have a father like that.

"Alright, Dear. Done with that." Cassi sighed and then walked back around and was holding a black rectangular box.

Cassi walked up to me and put a hand delicately on my face. "Close your eyes please."

I shut my eyes as she said to. I felt a tug of nervousness increasing my desire to get out of here. I wrinkled my nose as something soft started gliding over my face. Then the feeling got rougher. Next she put something on my lips.

"Open now, Dear," Cassi commanded.

I opened my eyes and she put mascara on my eyelashes, then proceeded by giving me a real smile. I held back my urge to blink rapidly. I was relieved when she put it away.