Caleb Dawn

District 9 Male: (Xela732)

Caleb Dawn

Age: 18

Gender: male

District: 9

Family: Mother and Father, 2 younger siblings.

Appearance: good looking, long black hair, brown eyes, strong, mysterious

Relationship: Crush on a girl called Tayla

It was only morning but the stone pavement of the town square was already as hot as coals.  All the children stood in a silent spell, waiting for the last of them to arrive.  I held my little sister and brother hands as they stepped up to the desk in the line. We each reached out their fingers and felt the tiny prick of the needle drawing out the blood. We then pressed down their fingers onto the blank slips of paper, and went to our sections. Katie, My sister to the 15 section and Ryan, my brother, to the 12 year olds and me to the 18 year old males.  The last few kids trickled in and found their places, then all was silent. The town clock hit 12 and the screen at the front started showing pictures of the rebellion. After the program was over, a blue haired lady slid out on stage.  

"Hello district 9! Are we all ready for the hunger games?" She pipes. Everyone stays silent. She keeps her pasty smile on and decide to move on.

"Lets get to it then." She says.  "Girls first!" She plucks a slip of paper out of the bowl and slowly unravels it. At that moment, Katie starts panicking in the 15 section. She looks over at Me and I mouth at her to calm down. The escort announces the name of the district 9 girl and Katie calms down. The girl goes up to the stage and announces her name and age, then sits. The escort goes over to the boy ball and pulls out a slip from the top. She unravels it and clears her throat.  

"Ryan Dawn." She pipes and my heart misses a beat.  No. He was too young.  

"I volunteer! I shout. I slowly walk up to the stage.  

"Name and age, dear?" The escort asks.

"Caleb Dawn. Age 18." She looks out at the crowd and the girl steps up.  

"The district 9 tributes for the 66th hunger games everybody!" She shouts, and bustles us off into the peacekeeper building.

I barely get a glimpse of Ryan, Katie and mum and dad before they say time is up. Mom tells me to stay strong and be true to myself, dad tells me to train hard, Katie is speechless, and only cries, then it comes to Ryan. He walks in and hugs me.  

"Thank you." He whispers. When we separate, he drops something into my hand.  "Please make this your token?" He asks. I nod, then the peacekeepers take him away. I look down at the object and see that it is an old, worn, leather bracelet. I slip it around my wrist and it feels soft against my bare skin.  

"Thank you." I whisper, but he is already gone.  I would most likely never see him again.