Chapter 13: Part 2

"So what are we going to do now?" Christina asks, breaking the momentary silence and I shrug, not really knowing how to answer. Without missing a beat, Tobias answers the question for us.

"We keep going." The words hang in the air between the three of us and after a spilt second of doubt I agree with him.

I realize lately that I have been too weak for my own good. We could be in the beginning of a war and I need to be okay. I need to be ready for anything and everything to happen, all of us do.

I look at the number on Tobias' chest and think to how if what Cara said is really true then I will have to go the next 40 years of my life without him.

The thought is unbearable.

Before I can dwell on my pain any further I hear a slight rap on the door and Uriah's head peers through before anyone has the chance to say come in.

He looks us over and crosses his arms, "So I guess I wasn't invited to the party." I feel a timid laugh pass my lips and without another word he walks up to me, I stand as he envelops me in a hug. I think back to Dauntless training when we were all initiates and the only place I felt welcome was with Uriah and the other dauntless born. I remember when I declined his offer to sit on his lap, much to Tobias' relief, and feel as if it was ages ago.

"I'm sorry," he says quietly.

I pull away and look at him, "So you saw." he looks at Christina and Tobias as if debating something . "We all did." He finally says, I nod again expecting as much.

"We also heard about dauntless, do you-" he coughs, clearing his throat as his voice catches on the last word, "Do you think they're really gone?" I think of Zeke, Uriah's older brother, Marlene, his girlfriend, and Lynne who is his best friend.

Was, I hear my subconscious remind me. But we don't know, none of us know what really happened. I'm about to say as much when I imagine his face if he finds out they really are gone. Hope, especially when improperly claimed, is dangerous.

"I don't know." Is all I end up saying. He nods and steps back, shoving his fists into his jeans.

"Well uh," he coughs again, "I do have some good news, that's the real reason that I came here."

I brighten up slightly at the idea of something, anything good.

"Oh, so the worry of my well being didn't have anything to do with it?"

He laughs, "Nah, coming here because I care would mean that there's a flaw in my cool guy persona." At this I hear Christina half snort half laugh, Tobias is the one who answers.

"Oh right, that would be the only flaw you'd have with that kind of persona." Uriah steps forward and jabs his pointer finger into his chest, I see Tobias' eyebrows lift and cover my mouth with my hand.

"You're just mad that I'm still cooler than you." he gives Tobias a slight wink and a wicked grin spreads across his face.

"Uh, dude I-" Uriah barely has time to pull his hand away before Tobias grabs his wrist, twisting it around Uriah's back and gently, yet effectively, flips Uriah onto his back on the bed.

"Okay, okay!" I  hear Uriah half shout half laugh. Tobias let's go, laughing as he reaches his hand to pull him up.

Uriah stands and smoothes down the front of his shirt nonchalantly. He laughs under his breathe and then for a second the room gets quiet and we all remain standing awkwardly staring at him. Still not saying anything, he begins picking at his nails and humming a song that I've never heard before.

'Earth to Uriah," Christina speaks up, walking up from her chair to stand around him. "You choose now to stop talking?"

He looks up, mock confusion plastered across his face. "What?"

"You came here to tell us something remember," Tobias crosses his arms over his chest and we all stand their for a second, the three of us sitting and waiting for him to speak.

"Oh, right!" he pushes himself of the bed and scoots between Christina and Tobias. "Follow me." he says as he gets to the door.

We share a hesitant glance. After everything that happened yesterday, after my ankle, the little girl. Hell, after everything that has happened since we left the confines of Chicago, we should be more than hesitant to believe that anything could be considered "good news" but I look at their faces and realize that there's only so much time that can be spent. With a slight nod to one another we follow after him