Chapter: 10

Tobias hand shakes me awake,

"It's okay, Tris"

"Maybe shaking her isn't the best idea" someone says to him, the voice is muffled like the person is talking underwater.

I feel someone grasp my hand, Tobias' cold fingers hold mine and I smile despite everything.

The person to the left of me, the muffled voice, grabs my hand too.

"Don't-" I hear Tobias begin to say, I can tell by his tone that his jaw is clenched in anger or frustration. I'm not sure which.

"While this is all very touching we have business to tend to."

My eyes open at the sound of Cara's voice.

"Tris," Tobias says. His hands hold my right hand and i feel someone holding the other. I turn my head slightly in that direction and see Peters green eyes looking at me. I pull my hand away from him.

Before I have the chance to say anything to Tobias my mind is lashing out at Cara and im speaking before I even realize what to say.

"What the hell was that?" I ask her, sitting up in the bed, not liking the feeling of being so vulnerable.

"Leverage," She tells me, a small grin spreading across her usually lifeless features.

"You see, here in the Bureua we keep order and we keep the peace." I give Tobias a look that says move and he backs away from the bed, Peter does the same. I stand.

"You keep the peace? You, of all people, know nothing of peace." I stand my ground, my voice doesnt falter this time. I wont loose another arguemnet with this woman.

"Oh like you're any better" she tells me.

i ignore the jab, "What was that"

She signs and crosses her arms.

"As I was saying, We keep peace out here. We knew that you would come eventually and dealing with a bunch of Divergent "rebels" is like running around with a lit fuse. We need order." When she says the word 'order' i hear a catch in her voice which leads me to believe that order is far from their grasp.

"When you attacked me, the men watching sent a magnetic pulse, a shock if you will. It subdues anyone performing a violent act agaisnt another. The simulation at the end was intended to keep you unconsious long enough for people to react and get help if needed.'' I feel sick. How couldnt I fight the simulation?I want to ask the question out loud but im interupted.

I hear Peter laugh beside me, his green eyes dark with anger. "Fancy, now where'd you learn to do that."

Cara barely glances at him and keeps her eyes locked on me. "I'm surprised to find you roaming with the likes of him," she says matter-of-factly, gesturing to Peter.

"The likes of-?" Peter asks bemused.
"Whats that supposed to mean?"

Cara looks at him and an emotion crosses her face so quickly that its difficult to place but I realize its the same look Tobias had in Erudite headquarters, the same expression I had when I faced the crows in initiation, the same look that brings memories of my parents deaths.

Fear.

Shes afraid of Peter? Why? Sure he can do terrible things, I think back to initiation and I shudder. Maybe we should all be afraid.

"Anivial," she finally says. "the Welsh term for Animal or as most like to say," she looks at Peter, this time unflinching. "monsters."

I look at Tobias and his face is as confused as mine but Peter, he wears the mask of prey making the final decision when faced with a predator, Flee or fight. In this case he chooses the latter.