Chapter 28

Sorry this chapter took so long to write! Well, it actually didn't take that long but I was really busy and I wasn't very motivated to upload. But I have now, so yay.

This chapter is dedicated to RainDropsofSilence, partly because she answered well and partly because she apologized for her lack of capital letters in her post. I'm a bit of a grammar freak and the way people write and speak has been making me angry lately, so I appreciated it.

Chapter 28

            “I love you, darling.”

            A mumbled, “I love you too.”

            A peck on the lips.

            Step into a cab.

            Give the directions.

            And it’s off to filming, once more.

            How repetitive.

            The Seven Year Itch was going well, although there were a few minor issues. One slight issue was that I was having the hardest issue remembering my lines. The next issue stemmed from that; Evelyn Keyes seemed to think herself superior to me! Obviously she wasn’t; I mean I was the one playing the pretty, young, bombshell. She was the one who was losing her husband in the movie and for good reason too; she was a good ten years older than me and I could see the gray hairs coming in.

 Nobody likes an old actress. If you aren’t youthful and beautiful, what are you? Nothing, that’s what.

So what right had she to complain about the time it took me to memorize my lines or to prepare myself for filming?

Today the filming would be focusing largely on Tom Ewell, my co-star, and Evelyn wouldn’t even be there so there was nothing for me to stress about. I’d get a chance to work with my acting coach, Paula, as well.

“Marilyn, where have you been?” Billy Wilder, the director, called out after stopping the scene they had been working on. “What about nine o’clock don’t you understand?”

Paula rushed to my side, saving the day. “Relax, she’s just an hour late and you didn’t even need her most of the time.” She began pulling me off to an unoccupied space to the back of the studio. “He shouldn’t expect you to come that early anyway, it’s silly.” She told me in confidence.

“There was a lot of traffic and I had a bad cabdriver.” I shrugged. That wasn’t true; I had left my apartment around 9:30 after spending the morning sleeping in with Joe. He was nursing a slight hangover and didn’t want to wake up. I had to spend the whole night caring for him because he was ill.

“Never mind about that now. You have a surprise visitor.” Paula nodded her head to her right. I turned my face in that direction to see someone waving.

“Milton? Milton Greene, is that you?” I called loudly, earning myself a grumpy look from the sound manager.

“Miss Monroe, it’s been ages!”

I had met Milton about a year or so ago when he photographed me for a magazine. The pictures he had taken were some of my favorites, and we had remained in touch ever since. I even invited him to my wedding, but unfortunately he was busy that weekend. Since I married Joe, Milton and I hadn’t had the chance to catch up. Well, until now, of course.

“Miss Monroe?” I laughed. “Should I call you Mr. Greene, then?”

Milton chuckled. “No, I think we’re on a first-name basis, don’t you?”