Chapter 24

Aloha, friends! This chapter is dedicated to MahalaNinneman because I really liked her answer to the last chapter question. You've probably realized this by now, but I usually dedicate my chapters to the person who answered the previous chapter question well, and by that I mean it's obvious they put a lot of thought into it. Of course, all your answers are very good so it's difficult to choose who to dedicate this to, so I'm giving a shoutout to wisha_moon and MarkVelvet.

Sigh, only 37 votes. I don't want to whine because I feel bad when I do, but could I maaaybe possibly get, say, 13 more votes? It's kind of depressing and unmotivating(is that a word?) when I see my chapters getting fewer and fewer votes.

Anyways, enjoy! Oh and along with the chapter question, there's an important thingy I have to say  at the end. Please read it? Thanks bunches!

Chapter 24

“How have you been, Marilyn?” Bebe asked as she poured me some tea. “I mean, I’ve followed the tabloids a little so I’m not completely in the dark. It looks like your relationship with Joe is going well.”

“Yes, Joe is wonderful. I can’t believe I was lucky enough to find such a gentleman.” Bebe came and joined me on the sofa. “Which reminds me, how is Ben? I haven’t spoken to him in ages.”

Bebe’s expression darkened for a moment, but then it passed. “Oh, he’s fine. Perfectly fine.” But it was easy to tell she was lying.

“Bebe, what is it? You can tell me.”

Bebe frowned, more wrinkles showing on her face. “It’s nothing, just Ben being Ben.” I gave her a look that said I know you’re hiding something and she sighed. “Well, you remember that day we- that day we fought?”

“How could I forget?”

She nodded. “Right, of course. Well, Ben and I had been having some problems for about a month before that day. Ben had been ignoring me; leaving for work in the morning straight away, coming home after midnight because he was at a bar drinking with his friends. It wasn’t just a one-time thing, either. It was every night!”

The poor thing looked ready to cry again, so I scooted closer to her and put an arm around her. She smiled at me and continued her story.

“I confronted him; I asked him if he was an alcoholic, if he was cheating. He denied everything. He told me he was just sick of seeing my-” she sniffed, “my old, wrinkly face.”

“Oh Bebe!” I gasped. “How could he?” Ben had always seemed like such a caring husband.

“It’s the alcohol talking, I’m sure he didn’t mean it.” She shrugged, trying to justify his words. “So we decided to move back here, to England, to take a break from everything. He really has been drinking less.”

I shook my head. That didn’t excuse Ben at all. “Where is Ben anyway?” I asked.

Bebe glanced at the clock. “He should be getting home-” the front door opened, “now.” She finished.

I could hear the door slam shut, and then there was whistling in the hallway coming towards us. I glanced over at Bebe, whose eyes were lowered and hands were clasped in her lap.

“Who’s this pretty little thing?” My head snapped towards the voice. Ben was leaning in the doorway, red-faced and grinning lopsidedly. “Marilyn!” He exclaimed with a shout.

“He’s drunk.” I heard Bebe murmur from beside me.

“Hello Ben.” I greeted him stiffly.