Chapter 9

Chapter 9

As we got closer to our destination I began to focus more on the task on hand, we had been briefed in more detail of what was happening in Iraq and the tasks we would be set to do. Once we landed we would be taken to a temporary camp for a final training session before leaving the next morning to our camp. I could tell that both Daniel and Sandy were looking forward to getting going, I wouldn’t say excited but they weren’t far from it. However on the other hand Codie and I were more apprehensive and nervous, whatever happened or what we found would in some way be unexpected and I hated being left in the dark like that.

Sitting back in the plane seat that was as lot comfier than I expected I sang Bastille’s ‘Pompeii’ to take  my mind of things, I couldn’t deal with a love song or a song sung by you know who, I wouldn’t let myself think of him when we’d only just left. I always found it best not to think of people you miss, because when you do you let yourself in for a whole lot of unwanted emotions, and I couldn’t have that on my plate when I was in a mind-set of fighting for my country.

~

After a few hours of flying and trying to forget we finally landed in Iraq, it wasn’t an official airport but more of a temporary piece of land used by the army. Getting off I stretched my legs and adjusted my creased uniform, walking down the steps with Sandy by my side we didn’t say anything, we were more focused on our surroundings. To be honest there wasn’t much around, there was a large garage type building a few hundred meters from where we stood, other than that there were some army trucks and a whole lot of grass and trees.

“Attention” the sergeant yelled. Everyone formed a line and saluted before standing up straight waiting for our next orders, as I waited it hit me that I was here and it was really happening, I was here, in a different country, fighting not just for justice but for my country.

“Our journey will commence at 14:00 hours, the trucks will take us to the last training base before we leave for our final destination at 07:00 hours the following morning. You will need to sign in at the hut and food will be provided, I expect you all to be focused and ready for anything put to you” he looked at every one of us before nodding, saluting and turning towards the hut. Everyone nodded and followed suit, hungry not just for food but to get going.

After freshening up in the bathroom I joined everyone else at the table where various pots of food sat before us, it was all healthy but you couldn’t really expect anything less. I scooped up some potato, chicken and peas on my plate and sat between Daniel and a fellow comrade named Christian. As I ate I listened to the chatter around me, most of it was to do with our task out here but a few were talking about life back home. I tried to block the last few out, I couldn’t lose my focus just when I was really beginning to knuckle my thoughts down at the task on hand.

At the minute it felt like the calm before the storm, everyone seemed peaceful and free. But as soon as we were out there in the open, armed and ready we would go in ‘combat’ mode. Death would always be at the back of your mind, we were here to protect and defend and that is what we would do to the death. I had another realization moment as we all sat there, every single of the men and women sat round the table were like an extended family to me. Though I wasn’t that close to the majority of them they were all part of this weird and wonderful family we had formed, I couldn’t imagine army life without them. Take Christian for example, just like his name sounded he was from a wealthy background. He could have gone down any route in life and done well, he would have even survived without a job, but he chose to come into the army much to the dismay of his parents who wanted him to do something much more ‘reliable’. He kind of sounds like a stuck up snob but he’s the opposite, he doesn’t take anything for granted, he works as hard as he possibly can, and he never talks about his background. He was like a step brother or something. Then take Chris for example, he was sure he would end up working at McDonalds or somewhere simular as he never did well at school and he never really had any support back home from his family which is pretty sad. But he worked so hard to get to where he is now, he’s dedicated and loyal and he would do anything for any of us. He was also like a step brother to me. To be fair I could list every single one of the men and women here with me and say so many nice things about all them, I couldn’t speak a bad word for any of them.

Once we’d finished lunch, signed in etc. it was time for us to leave to go to our temporary base for a last training session before our final destination tomorrow. I sat next to Codie in the truck on the way over there, Daniel and Sandy were in the truck behind us as there was a total of five (four for our battalion and the fifth for all our luggage and what not).

The journey was peaceful in a weird way, Codie and I chatted about various things until we drove past some sort of café with a sign outside promoting their ‘Peach and apple tart’, and in a second my heart sunk as I thought back to my Peachpuff. What was he doing now? Did he miss me or was it too soon? Had he thought about me? When would I see him again? Or would I even hear from him again? I had no idea, I couldn’t answer any of my questions and that really didn’t help my mood. I wanted to be backstage at one of the boy’s concert with the girls. I wanted to be back in the café with the amazing chocolate cake as I drank a latte and Nathan drank his usual tea. I wanted so many things from one person, and I couldn’t have any of them.

Codie noticed I was upset and pulled me into a sideways hug, “Don’t worry about him okay. Concentrate on here and now, and when he writes to you be as mushy and emotional as you want” I let out a chuckle and leant on her shoulder, I really did love this girl. She was lucky that the man she loved was out here with her.

~

Our final training session was tough, but that was expected to be honest. We did a few targets, drills, emergency first aid, weights, fitness, you name it we did it. But it was worth it, I felt a lot better once we were done. It reassured me a bit more that I really was ready, they could throw anything at me and I’d know how to handle it, well at least I hoped so.

We lay in our sleeping bags in one long and stuffy tent, everyone was sleeping in here on the hard bumpy floor so no doubt I wouldn’t be getting much sleep tonight. But I didn’t care, I had made it. I had to temporarily forget about life back home and learn to live this way, after all these people were my family, friends, support group for goodness knows how long. I was in Iraq, I had survived day one.

A/N – Finally updated! Sorry it took me so long! I got back from the most amazing two weeks in my life in Italy. I honestly had the most amazing experience with eleven of the most amazing friends who I love so much. The day after I got back I got my college results and I GOT INTO UNI!! Never been happier in my life! I’m so excited to start studying print journalism! Haha, anyway that night I went out with my friends to celebrate. The combination of not getting home until 4am that night/morning and the Italy holiday made me majorly lazy, so I’ve been ‘recovering’ from that. But anyway I’m back and updates will be every Wednesday again! Comment, vote, fan and I’ll see you then!

P.S. If you’ve had results I hope they went okay for you! Don’t worry about them, trust me there’s always a plan B!