Chapter 3

Chapter 3

To be honest I don’t really know what I expected from bumping into Nathan. My job trained me to always expect the unexpected, but that didn’t stop me from being surprized when I found a new text message from Peachpuff when I woke up the next morning due to my screeching alarm.

Hey Hannah. Or should I say Crimson? It was great bumping into you last night (literally). Anyway I wondered if you wanted to grab a coffee – or tea – with me at some point today if you’re not busy? Let me know, it will be great to talk to you again. Nathan, AKA Peachpuff.

I couldn’t help but smile at the text as I read it. I didn’t get asked out much because of my job, sure I was around men a lot, but they were more like protective brothers than anything else. I rolled over and sat up remembering the reason I’d put my alarm on was because I was going on a five mile run with Sandy. It sounds like a long way, but when you’ve trained as hard as we have, it was a walk in the park, well, close enough.

I texted him back letting him know that I was free from lunch so he could name when and where, I got kind of excited, was this even a date?

I knew that Sandy would want all the details from hanging out with him yesterday, she’d probably figure out that I was meeting him today too; she seems to know everything. She predicted that Codie and Daniel would get together, and that I’d trip over yesterday, and look where that led me.

Great. Is 12:30 good? Meet me at Joey’s café? Peachpuff J

I read the text just as I had pulled on my running shorts and top, I wasn’t going to bother with a shower until I got back because no doubt I would need it. I quickly typed back saying that was fine, Joey’s café was one of my favourite places to have a drink so I was impressed by his choice of café. Tying my hair back so it wouldn’t get in my face while we ran I grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl, pouring a glass of milk from the fridge and sitting at the table to have my breakfast. I had an apple after I’d finished my banana because I hated running on an empty stomach, you would have expected the opposite, but when I hardly ate anything I got tired a lot quicker.

Knowing that Sandy would be here any minute because of her punctuality I ran to the bathroom and quickly brushed my teeth. Just as I had got back to the kitchen and laced up one of my running shoes the doorbell rang, I half walked, half hopped to the door, pulling it open and answering it, seeing a ready and waiting Sandy with the usual backpack on her back. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that we were running with a massive, heavy bag on our back too? Since it was protocol when we trained at the barracks it was best that we did out of training too, you never know when you’re going to be called so it’s good to keep fit and keep training.

I grabbed my bag, putting a bottle of water and energy bar into it, along with my apartment keys. I shut the door before we began our usual running route, first through the streets until we found the park we ran through a lot of the time. Not going to lie, running with a massive bag on my back wasn’t my favourite thing in the world, but at the same time it gave me a sense of accomplishment, that I could really do something if I wanted to, I just have to push myself.

I remember the first time I had to do the five mile run, even without the bag at first, it killed me. I literally thought I was going to collapse on the floor and not be able to get up. But with all the training and practise I was able to do it numerous times a week, I ran every day, though half the time it was just a short two mile without the bag. “So-“ Sandy began, it was kind of hard to talk while we ran. “What’s – going on with – you and – Nathan?” she breathed, “You seemed to- be getting – pretty close yesterday” I briefly glanced at her as she glanced at me, I had that goofy smile tugging at my lips once again – and we’d only met once! It made no sense!

“Yeah he’s – “ I breathed, “really nice – we just seemed to – click.” She giggled as if she knew something more. “You’re meeting him- again aren’t – you?” she questioned, though it was more matter of factly. “Today, at lunch” I exclaimed a little too loudly and enthusiastically than what I was going for. She gave me a knowing glance and didn’t say anything until we stopped for some water, and heck I needed it. “Well I’m really happy for you Han, as long as you’re careful because of work and everything” I nodded, I wasn’t really thinking about that yet since I’d only met him once. I did know though that when it came to finding a man when being in the army it was pretty hard, considering our commitments and the fact we could be sent away to another country at an moment, with hardly any warning.

“Thanks, and I know. I don’t think I need to think that deeply yet, it’s just a coffee” I laughed before we began jogging once again. We didn’t say anything else on the matter until we’d finished, Sandy just told me to have fun and dish out all the details later to her once I got back. I nodded giving her a hug before hurrying in the house, I had exactly an hour before I was supposed to be meeting him. The first thing I did was drop my bag, grab a drink, and shove some toast in the toaster since I needed a snack before I left – I didn’t exactly want to go through the embarrassment of my stomach rumbling because I hadn’t eaten anything.

After the little fifteen minute pit stop I hurried to the bathroom, stripping out of my running gear and shoving it in the wash basket before hopping in the shower. After soaking up the hot water I stepped out and wrapped a white fluffy towel around me, now for what to wear. Wet footprints left their mark on the carpet as I hurried into my room slightly cold.

I decided to go for something casual since it was only a coffee. I paired my denim skinny jeans with a purple lace top and some flats. Drying my hair upside down and making it straight took a few minutes since I wasn’t lucky enough to have really short hair. After I’d done my hair I moved on to adding a bit of concealer onto my blemishes, a hint of brown eye shadow and mascara, before adding some pink lip-gloss to my lips once I’d brushed my teeth. Glancing in the mirror I was happy with my appearance, I mean I was making a bit of an effort but it wasn’t over the top.

I put my phone, keys, purse, pepper spray – you never know when you might need it, and lip-gloss into a small bag before leaving. It would only take me ten minutes walking so I had plenty of time seeing as I wasn’t meant to be there for another twenty minutes.

I walked slowly, it was nice not having to rush or run anywhere. Even though I loved what I did I loved my down time too, and this was definitely down time. Time to meet Peachpuff, hopefully I wouldn’t fall and embarrass myself again – wouldn’t want to give him the wrong idea since I was meant to be in tip top shape being in the army!

A/N – Hey guys! So now that I’ve finished Golden and New Heights I figured I should carry on with this fic since I still want to carry on with it. The story is just starting and it’s going to get a lot more interesting and dramatic – let me tell you that! I hope you guys like it as much as my others seeing as it’s a bit different! I’m not sure what day I’m going to dedicate to uploading, I’ll figure that out soon, but because I haven’t updated in so long they’ll be another update later today! Anyway, comment, fan, vote and I’ll see you later!  S x