Chapter Eight (Jamison's Point of View)

Chapter Eight

Jamison's Point of View

   I sat staring at the white wall inside Meredith's kitchen. Meredith and Hudson just left for another one of their trips. I have asked Meredith countless times about all these random trips, but she continues to tell me that both Hudson and her need some 'alone time...away from the city.'  

My mind continues to flip back and forth from Meredith to Lorelei. I know I shouldn't be thinking about Lorelei, yet she won't leave my mind. The last time I saw her was yesterday when I decided to show up at her work. I had everything planned out; I was really going to try and be her friend. Then I entered the store and when I saw the way she looked at me, I went with my normal demeanor: cold and stern.

And then she ran after that guy. She even hugged him.

In all honesty, the thought of Lorelei having a boyfriend never crossed my mind. Now that I have witnessed her hugging another guy I know now that I should have been way more careful. I told myself that I need to keep my distance. And like always, I break my promise to myself.

I hear a key unlocking the front door. I quickly rise from my seat in the kitchen and look over in the direction of the front door. Meredith is always so forgetful, so I'm sure she's returning back just to pick up what she left. Instead it's the girl with the unforgettable pink highlights, strikingly beautiful blue eyes, and irresistible smile.  

   "I take it Meredith has wedding duties for the both of us?" I know I need to be more friendly towards Lorelei. Meredith has told me more than I'd like to hear on how I come off. If only she knew I was doing all of this on purpose for more reasons than one.

   "So now you've decided to talk to me?" her tone is obviously annoyed. I don't blame her. It is becoming too difficult to be so closed-off and rude to Lorelei. Even if she does have a boyfriend I want to be her friend. I do.

I smile at Lorelei in attempt to change the atmosphere. Thankfully it slowly does the trick. Lorelei smiles back at me. I feel my heart beating even faster in my chest. Damn. That smile has serious power over me and Lorelei has no idea at all.

   "Can we start over?" I genuinely ask. If anything, having a friend right now would be just what I need. I haven't really been the best at making friends.

   "I would like that a lot."

Not as much as I will.

***

Lorelei and I sit across from each other at the dining table. We're sorting the two types of bows. Each time I see Lorelei smile my stomach gets an instant jolt. She's truly breathtakingly beautiful.

   "I've been meaning to ask you something, Jamison. I just don't want to offend you."

My nerves kick in instantly. What is she going to ask? I give her a look that indicates that she can continue with her question.