Chapter 22

Chapter 22

“You wanted to see me?” Sasha asked as she re-entered Pete’s office three hours later.

“Yes, have a seat.” Pete said as he pointed to the chair in front of his desk. “The US embassy in Greece called and filled me in on their plans.  I told you they sent some of their own agents to check out Jim’s property there. The weak lead just became stronger. They asked around and at least five different people have seen him. It’s only a matter of time now Sasha before he’s caught and brought back to the states.” He excitedly explained.

“That’s great.”

Pete saw something was on her mind. “What are you thinking?”

Sasha sighed, she hated the feeling she couldn’t shake. “It seems too easy. All this time Jim was lying and stealing and no one knew, he’s not stupid. It all just seems unlike what I thought would happen.” She explained. But she knew evidence was what mattered and they had the right stuff. Everything said he was there except her gut. Perhaps it was paranoia because she thought it would take longer and more work.

“Sasha, Miko Stefan is one of the best agents I have ever met and his record is outstanding. He’s has offers from all around the world but he wants to stay in his homeland. He’s leading this case as a personal favor to me, I trust his word.” Pete explained.

Pete was a man who made good on his word; there was no reason for her not to trust him or the facts staring her in the face. “I guess I just expected the worse. It’s what I’m use too. I know this is asking a lot but when they bring him back into our jurisdiction, may I question him?” 

That probably wasn’t the best idea in Pete’s mind. He knew Sasha wouldn’t be able to hold her temper, she never had. “You can sit in and if it goes smoothly you can ask him what you need to.”

“Thank you.” It wasn’t what she wanted but it was better then nothing at all.

Pete nodded in acknowledgment. “How did it go with Billie?”

“It went well. I like her and I think she’ll make a great agent. She’s a little nervous and scared of failing but I think with time she’ll be just fine.” Sasha explained. She and Billie spent the last couple of hours together and it was refreshing to talk to someone of the same sex and someone who she shared a lot in common with.

“That’s great and what I wanted to hear.” Pete said with a content smile.

“I gave her a few pointers on her case. It’s pretty open and shut, I think the local PD just got lazy and called us in.  I think the father took his son and I don’t blame him considering the mom seems like everyone’s worst nightmare. Billie’s tracking the father down now to make sure.” Sasha explained before she stood from her seat and neared the door.

“Are you heading home now?” Pete asked.

“Well I’m not needed here so yes I’m going home. Call me if you learn anything new.” Sasha headed down the hallway and to the front exit; with a wave goodbye to Billie she was gone. She drove back to her apartment and began to wonder what Nicholas was up to.

Sasha had been used to being alone but now she missed him every second they weren’t together. It scared her to need someone that badly, to think of them all the time. It was crazy, she told herself. It was new that’s what it was. Once the new exciting feeling wore off, she could learn to be ok with him being gone. With their job, he would be gone a lot of the time.

She reached the inside of her apartment. It seemed foreign since she’s been spending the night at Nicholas’s apartment. His place was bigger and nicer in her eyes.  As soon as she shut the front door behind her, a sudden nausea swept over her stomach.

Faster then she has ever ran, Sasha headed to the bathroom and threw up her breakfast and lunch. She rinsed her mouth and sat on the edge of the bathtub. “Well that was fun.”

“Your front door was open. What happened?” Nicholas asked as he stood at the doorframe of the bathroom.

“I don’t know, I just felt sick. What are you doing here?” Sasha asked with her best attempt at a smile as her stomach continued to turn.

“Taking a lunch break, Pete told me you were headed home and I wanted to see you. You look really green.” Nicholas said and at the same time sat beside her.

“You should stay away. If I throw up again I don’t want it to be on you.”  Sasha winced.

“It’s ok.” Nicholas wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. “Did you eat something and it’s not agreeing with you?”

“Yeah. I was at the office all day; I ate two tons of junk food when I was helping Billie, the new agent.” Sasha explained as she rested her head against his shoulder.

“I met her today, she really likes you. And all the junk food explains why your stomach hurts.” Nicholas said.

“I guess.”

“Do you want to go lay down?”

“No I’m alright now. It faded.” Sasha said before she stood from the bathtub ledge. Nicholas followed her out into the living room.

“I want to ask you something.” Sasha said. “Pete told me Jim was spotted and it was only a matter of time before they catch him. Does that seem off to you?”

“No. I know what you’re thinking; that it’s too easy. But I’m sure Jim didn’t think we’d follow him out of the country. He figured if he left the state without being caught that was the end. He underestimated how many people are on your side.” Nicholas explained as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

“Pete’s right, you’re right. I just need to let this feeling go. Kiss me.” Sasha said. “I brushed my teeth after tossing up my food.” She explained when she saw him hesitate.

Nicholas just smiled before he kissed her on the lips.  Sasha abruptly pulled away. “And for the record I wouldn’t hesitate to kiss you no matter what.”

“Oh come here.” Nicholas said as he brought her mouth back to his.

Sasha ran her hand through his hair, becoming infatuated with the kiss. So much that neither of them heard the cell phone ring until the third one. “Yours or mine?” Sasha asked.

“It has to be yours, I’m wearing my beeper.” Nicholas said as he let her got to answer it.

“Yeah?” Sasha answered.

It was Pete. “Stefan called. They have him in custody. Jim is being escorted back to the states as we speak.”