Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Carolyn and Sasha took the takeout to the kitchen and began serving the food as Nicholas returned from upstairs.   “Hey.” He said to the sisters as he kissed Sasha on the cheek, he lingered there for an extra second for two reasons, because he desperately wanted to and another way to get under her skin. As much as he was starting to like her some habits were hard to break.

“It still amazes me you got married because you hated the thought when you were a kid.” Carolyn said to her younger sister.

Sasha rolled her eyes, if she continued to lie there was a role to be played. “I never thought I would get married but the perfect guy came along.” she managed to say without gagging.

“So Nicholas how did you win my sister over?” Caro smiled as she looked at the happy couple standing side by side.

“Oh that doesn’t matter.” Sasha quickly jumped in. “Let’s take about why you wanted to come over, you said you wanted to talk.” she pointed out.

“I did want to talk, to catch up.” Caro said. “So let Nicholas answer the question, I want to know.”

“Yeah, she wants to know.” Nicholas repeated as he patted Sasha on the butt. She shot him a death glare when their guest wasn’t looking. “Sasha and I work together. When we first met she was bitchy as hell, just mean, she hated me and then with my winning charm she couldn’t stay away.” he explained.

“Oh give me a break!” Sasha exclaimed looking at Nicholas before turning to her sister. “Charm my ass. Ok I might’ve been bitchy but he was bossy, pushy and annoying. I thought he was really cute when we first met, you know? But it was awhile before I realized he’s not all that bad. I give him a chance and it paid off.” she explained, crossing her arms over her chest. If they had to lie it was going to be done her way.

“You guys are so cute together. I’m glad you found happiness Sasha, I always wanted that for you.” Caro sincerely said. “Let’s eat.”

As everyone sat to eat Sasha began to felt guilty. Her sister had meant what she said and it had been all based on lies, unfair lies. If there was one person in the word she wanted to be honest with it was Caro and yet she couldn’t muster up the words or chance ruining the case. After so many years the job became the biggest part of her life, she selfishly couldn’t risk it.

Dinner continued with light conversation, nothing too serious and not too many lies, from all parties. They were each hiding life changing secrets. Carolyn wanted to talk to someone, to Sasha about Jim and what he was into. What he might be into.

After they ate, Sasha made a pot of coffee. Just as she sat back down at the table, Nicholas’ cell rang. She looked into his eyes as he answered it because only one person called on the cell. “Hello.” He listened for a second and slowly nodded. “Yeah hold on for a second.” Looking at Sasha he said, “I’m going to take this in the bedroom. It’s pretty important. Excuse me.” and then he was gone.

Once he was out of ear shot Carolyn asked. “What was that about?”

“I don’t know. Probably work or a friend.” Sasha said with a weak smile. “I’ve been wanting to talk to you alone.” she said in a more serious tone.

“What’s going on?”

“Something didn’t seem right with you and Jim. You changed really fast and I know something is happening or happened. Talk to me.” She looked into her sister’s eyes, hoping that she would say something, anything.

“Losing the baby was really hard for me. Jim lately is being protective but it’s nothing more than that.” Caro easily answered. She wasn’t sure why a huge part of her wanted to tell Sasha but another part felt it would be best to stay silent. She loved Jim and she didn’t want to see him hurt. If Sasha knew the full truth she would do something about it.

Sasha knew Carolyn was lying, she felt it deep in her chest and it hurt. She wanted her sister’s trust but she was lying as well, for her job but lying all the same. “Ok.” Sasha said. “Just so you know, no matter whatever happens you could tell me, I’ll help you in anyway I can.” she said and it was clear how it should’ve sounded. ‘I know you’re lying but I won’t push.’

“I know Sasha.” Caro smiled weakly.

“There’s just one more thing I have to ask you. Does Jim know I’m FBI?” Sasha carefully asked, watching her sister’s reaction for a hint of what might be happening.

“No, I never told him.” Caro honestly said.

“Don’t tell him now either. The less that know what I do the better.”

“Is that why you and Nicholas are in town? You both work together, is it a case?” Caro asked in a carefree tone, hoping her sister didn’t sense the urgency.

“We do work together but we’re also married and that’s why we’re here to get away from it for awhile.” Sasha explained.

“You hated this place so much. It’s amazing you came back.” Carolyn pointed out.

“It wasn’t a bad as I thought. As a kid it was hard but I’m an adult now, not a kid or a teenager. Time’s are different.” Sasha explained as she watched the last drips come from the coffee maker into the glass pot.

“It’s good to finally see you happy. It was long over due.”

“Thanks.” Sasha said, wishing her sister would stop saying things like that.

Nicholas came back and placed a hand on Sasha’s shoulder, softly saying. “I need to talk to you.”

 “Excuse us for a second.” She said to her sister, giving what she hoped was a reassuring smile. After Caro’s nod the happy couple disappeared upstairs to their bedroom.

“What’s going on?” Sasha asked, making sure to close the door behind them.

Nicholas wore a look of regret. “We have a problem.”