Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Sasha stared a Pete for a minute in disbelief. “Bullshit.” she finally spoke. “Nick and I go together like oil and water. And you’re the boss, not cupid.” she crossed her arms wondering when that endless day would finally end.

“I am the boss and it’s not professional to play cupid but nothing about this team goes by the rules so being the boss; I can do what I want.” Pete curtly explained, folding his hands. “And I know a good pair when I see it. That’s why I always pair you up as partners. I didn’t realize it until the Kellermen case that there were deeper feelings.” he explained to Sasha.

“The Kellermen case?!” Nicholas exclaimed. “I was half a step from killing her on that case.” 

“Exactly.” Pete said with a grin as he left the living room.

“What?” Sasha wanted to throw something at Pete but he was still the boss so with no other choice she stayed seated. “He’s good for half ass explaining.”

“All these years of working with Pete and you still don’t get him.” Wayne said with a disappointed shake of his head.

“Ok, oh great Wayne. Enlighten me.” Sasha sarcastically said as she turned in the sofa and faced him.

“I’m going to make this simple. Pete likes to drag shit out, that’s not me. You and Nick snap at each other and maybe you don’t like each other but, you want each other. I can smell the lust.” Wayne explained.

“Oh bullshit.” Sasha said again.

“Hey. You don’t see Nick denying it.” Noah pointed out.

Sasha looked at Nicholas who was sitting on the arm rest of the recliner. Damn him. “Why are we talking about my love life? More important things are going on here. We’ve spent the last hour talking about shit. And this crazy fucker could be killing my sister.” she wanted to keep her worry under wraps except it wasn’t working. Carolyn was the last of her family; crazy thoughts of what could be happening kept flooding her mind.

“You’re right.” Gage agreed. He didn’t want to talk about Nicholas and Sasha together anymore then she had.

“Of course you’re going to agree with her.” Nicholas mumbled.

Sasha stood from the sofa. “Nicholas McBain, shut up already!” she marched upstairs growing psychically hot from the anger.

“Excuse me.” Nicholas said to the men before he followed Sasha to the bedroom. He found her pacing the room.

Sasha looked up from the floor. “You. Why must you be an idiot all the time?”

“Me? You called me clueless. Look in the mirror Sasha.” Nicholas explained as he sat on the edge of his bed.

“What?”

“Gage Locke wants you. He was agreeing with you, code for I wouldn’t mind seeing you naked. His whole sweet act is for you.” Nicholas explained.

“This is so stupid! I don’t care! I don’t want him and I don’t want you. I want to find my sister and go home.” Sasha explained, sitting across from him on her own bed.

Nicholas studied her for a moment. “If you want to cry, cry.” he softly said.

Sasha looked up from her hands. “I don’t want to cry. I’m pissed, mostly at you and everyone else in this house.” she explained.

“You’re right this is kind of stupid. But I guess it’s everyone’s way of passing time.” Nicholas said. The last thing he expected today was to have most of his co-workers discussing his love life with Sasha. It wasn’t like they were together or meant to be. That was just crazy to even consider.

“Yeah well everyone needs to find a new hobby.” Sasha scoffed.

“When you’re right, you’re right.” Nicholas said as he stood from his bed. “I’m going to leave you alone.” he said leaving the room.

“Where’s Madden?” Noah asked when Nicholas re-entered the living room joining Wayne and Noah. Pete and Gage were in the kitchen working.

“She’s pretty pissed at all of us so she's in her room.” Nicholas explained as he sat in the recliner.

“Us or you?” Wayne asked.

“She said all of us.” Nicholas said with a shrug.

“You’re a damn fool!” Noah snapped at him.

“So I’ve heard. Why?” Nicholas asked, tired of the personal conversation yet confused enough to ask for help.

“Sasha Madden is the hottest chick at the agency and she wants your stupid ass. Open your eyes man and get a piece of that.” Noah explained as he opened another bottle of beer.

“No, wait a minute.” Wayne jumped in again. “I don’t think Nick just wants a piece. I think he’s falling for her. That’s why you’re acting like a dick. You’re pushing her away because you suck with women and you don’t want to hurt her.” he explained. Proud of the fact he sounded so right. “Shit, I should get paid for this wisdom.”

“He’s right isn’t he?” Noah asked. “Somehow we’ve turned into Oprah.” he said in almost disbelief they were three men talking about feelings and love.

Nicholas brushed off the whole subject. He wasn’t about to spill his guts. They might’ve been right but some things were better left unsaid. “What’s your whole take on this case?” he asked the two men.

“It seems simple when it comes across your lap but once you get the details, this shit’s crazy.” Wayne explained.

“Sasha must be going nuts. Her sister is the only family she has.” Noah explained.

That caught Nicholas off guard. “How did you know that?”

“I dug around. Parents died, Carolyn was stuck rising Sasha. Sasha hated everything and got into lots of trouble.” Noah explained. Mentally going back to the files he read on her. One night he was bored and read up on most of the agents.

Nicholas knew her childhood was hard but never imagined how hard. She had many walls built around her, never letting anyone in. He had a chance to know her better and maybe help break down some of those walls and he blew it. It was better that way because in the end, they would just hurt each other.

“I’ll be back.” Nicholas said as he left the living room. He had a sudden urge to go check on Sasha. To make sure she was alright, at least sort of. She wouldn’t be alright until the case was over and maybe not even then.

He walked back into the bedroom and saw she had her face buried in her hands with her elbows resting on her lap.

Sasha sensed another presence and looked up. “Nick I can’t deal with you right now.”

Nicholas saw she finally gave up and cried. “I’m not here to start anything. I just wanted to make sure you were ok.” he explained as he slowly walked into the room and closer to her.

“I’m fine. You can go.” Sasha said as she wiped her cheeks hoping she didn’t look as bad as she felt.

Instead of leaving, Nicholas sat beside her. “I’m sorry for making this day harder on you.” he softly said, meaning every word.

Partly against her will she looked into his blue warm caring eyes. “Thanks. This better not be something that you say sorry now and everything’s ok and then later you’re annoying me again.” she warned.

“I’ll always annoy you. We should just come to terms with that now.” Nicholas joked. But inside everything was serious as he looked into her eyes. Its better this way, he kept telling himself. At that moment he just wanted to kiss her and forget anyone else was in the house. Forget everything.

She continued to stare into his eyes. “I’m serious Nick. You really have nothing to worry about.” She said about Gage downstairs.

“I know.”