Chapter 6

Today was a week from when the Alpha had started coming and as I stared at the small stick in my hand I cry, not because I was happy, but because my life was over. Six month till it was born, two years until the Alpha took who ever was inside me away.

"Laina?" Alex's voice floats through the door and I jump, flushing the toilet and throwing the evidence away.

I wash my hands and get out quickly.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just over whelmed." I smile as best as I could at my friend and usher him out of my room.

"I'll see you in a few, just want to tidy up." My friend nodds and closes the door and I quickly put a bag together of things I would need, grabbing a small pink note book and quickly writing down all the important numbers from my phone before writing down emails I know I would need, I knew I would have to leave my cell behind because I could be tracked by gps.

I smile at the one good thing Abby had done to help me and that would be her bringing my emergency money and my wallet with all my cards and i.d.

I stuff that in the bag and look around the room, throwing a few articles of clothing in it.

I highten my wolf hearing, taking the time to see if Alex was in the house, he wasn't, and I smiled before making my way down stairs into the kitchen, grabbing a bunch of protien and granola bars, bags of jerky and bags of dried fruit and throwing them into the bag with my stuff and rushing outside to hide it by the back gate.

Smiling, I head back into the cottage and start cooking lunch, deciding on lasagna and baking some cookies.

"Food smells good." Alex says as he comes into the kitchen from the back door just as I was dishing the food out, a plate full of cookies and a plate with garlic bread on the table.

"Yeah, come on and dig in." I laugh out at my friend.

'Laina, can't come over today, urgent pack business. Stay inside.' The Alpha's voice rings clear in my head as he links me, I sigh in relief and sit, starting to dig into my food, my mood lighter.

"Good news?" Alex asks and I nodd.

"He isn't coming today." I mumble through a mouth full of garlic bread and seeing Alex also relax.

"Good, as taboo as it is to say, I hate the Alpha." He says and I smile.

"Me too." I laugh out and we continue our lunch.

"ALEX WE HAVE A PROBLEM!" James, the other guard, says as growls and howls ring out.

"Rogues." Alex says as he stands up.

"Our job is to protect you so run and hide, if we "loose" you in the confusion its not our fault, but the rogues." I take the hint and hug Alex tight, tears stinging my eyes.

"Thank you." I whisper, feeling his arms wrap around my waist.

"Don't worry, just protect your pups." I pull away shocked and he taps my nose.

"I smelt the chemicals from the test, I'll get rid of it for you later, just stay safe. Also your cousin asked me to send this to you." He hands me a letter and I nodd, speechless at how much help he was giving me as he hands me a jacket and pushes me out the back door before he runs out the front and I take the opportunity to run, putting my jacket on and grabbing my bag I had stashed and kept going.

The sounds of wolves fighting filled the forest but I didn't look back.
Finally I make it to the edge of my packs territory and stop before I could cross it.

Now while everyone was busy with the rogues, I take out the letter and scan it.

Lainy,
I was hoping that you would read this before you got pregnant and if you are, then I hope that its the first set of pups you have.

Head to the treehouse we used to play in as children and grab your pink duffle bag. I know that your mind wasn't in the right place the day you were made a breeder but now I want you to do one thing, RUN.

Keep running till you find a mate because he or she will save you from being a breeder, because of the laws the great elders set out.

Stay safe and know that we love you.

Chris and Jack

Tears flow down my face again and I walk alond the border towards the tree house, tucking the letter into my jacket.

I smile when I reach the ancient oak that holds it and look around the base, finding the hollow spot that I used to hide in and smilig as I grab my old pink duffle bag.

The border was just a few feet away from me and I smile. If I cross it on my terms and denounce my link as a pack member then I become a rogue.

Slowly I walk towards the border, my toes just on the line as I feel the power rushing through my sneakers.

"I, Laina Starcrest, denounce my membership of this pack and henceforce become a rogue till I find my mate or a new pack to call my own."

I take a step over the border and feel the snap as the connection to the pack breaks. Since my pup was only just concieved, it would have no ties to any pack until I join one.

I smile and continue to run, moving where ever was farthest from my old life. I would miss my cousin and his mate but I needed to do what was right for me, for the little one inside me.