Chapter 7

Calum

I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. The clock read 12:47. I threw myself backwards into my pillow as I rubbed my eyes. I had a nightmare about Her. I couldn't bare to fall asleep and risk another dream. They have happened every night for the past week, all the different scenarios in which the accident could have happened.

I decided to get a glass of water, so I tiptoed down the hallway and into the living room where I found Michael passed out on the couch, with a controller in his hand. I laughed as I removed it and threw a blanket on him. I shut off the t.v. before making my way into the kitchen.

As I poured water into my glass I started to space off, not realizing my glass was almost full. A certain memory came back to me and knocked the wind out of me.

"Hannah what do you want to watch?" I asked while flipping through the channels. 

"Pokemon please!" She squealed from the bed where she was wrapped in a blanket.

I laughed at her childishness, "Oh my god I love you."

The room went still as a silence fell upon us. I jumped up from my seat to sit beside her as I frantically started apologizing.

"Cal.. Cal.. Calum! Stop! I love you too!" She yelled at me while laughing. I stood there in shock. How could someone so amazing feel the same towards me.

"Thank god!" I shouted while I grabbed her, pulling her in for a kiss.

"You really mean it?" I asked, starting to second guess myself.

"I really do."

"Fuck!" I yelled, as my glass overflowed onto the floor. I quickly spun around as to make sure Michael was still asleep. I didn't move until I heard his light snoring.

I sighed and grabbed a towel to wipe up the mess I made, then proceeded to drink my water whilst sitting on the counter. Why couldn't I have been a better boyfriend? Sure we had our arguments and disagreements, but was that really the reason she left? Now I would never know her true reason for leaving.

As I made my way back to my room, I checked on Michael one more time. Once I was convinced he hadn't heard anything, I continued walking. The silent tears started slipping out right as I approached my bedroom door. As I opened the door, I suddenly couldn't stand the sight of my room anymore. Every object brought back a memory, each more painful than the last. I decided to change into shorts and sneakers as quickly as humanly possible and left my room once again.

I found a stray reciept on the counter and jotted a note down.

"Gone running, be back in a bit- Cal :)"

Locking the door, I shoved my keys into my pocket and slipped my phone into my armband. I put on my headphones and started jogging down the stairs. Once I reached the lobby, I threw open the doors and broke out into a sprint.

I ran and ran and ran. Until my chest burned and my breathing was heavy. Even then, I didn't stop. I kept pushing through the pain, both physically and mentally. I had no plan on stopping, until something, well more like someone, stopped me.

"Holy fuck!" The voice yelled as I crashed into them. I pushed myself up and looked down at the person.

"Adrian?" I asked, gasping for breath.

"Jesus Christ Calum, you're a fucking brick wall you know that?" She said, trying to catch her breath. I pushed myself off her and then offered her my hand. She took it and stood up slowly.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" I quizzed as I began checking her over for any evidence of damage.

She giggled at my concern, "I think I'll make it, what are you doing out this late?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I replied with a joking edge to my voice. 

"I wanted a doughnut, simple as that" She shrugged, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I could not contain my laughter, which only made it harder for me to breathe.

"It's not funny, I'm sorry. I just wasn't expecting that." I apologized, for the thousandth time.

"Well, I wasn't expecting to get mauled by a celebrity tonight, but hey strange things happen. Wanna join me?"

"Sure." I replied, trailing behind her as she started to walk away. This was definitely turning into an odd night, but I didn't care in the least.

After walking for a while, I decided to break the silence, "Why did you approach me the other day?"

She took a moment to think about her answer and when she finally spoke I could see why.

"I don't like knowing people are in pain, mentally, physically, or emotionally. I read your tweet and knew you were upset, she was your girlfriend afterall. I couldn't just walk away after I recognized you. You seemed like you were stuck between a rock and a hard place and I knew I could give some helpful words." She smiled, seemingly satisfied with her answer. I was stunned.

"Whoa." Was all I managed to get out before we were entering a small 24 hour bakery/coffee shop.

"Adrian, longtime no see!" Smiled a jolly man covered in flour.

"Daryl! How have you been!" Adrian chirped as she ran behind the counter.

"I take it you're a regular," I stated with a smirk.

"Adrian has always been my best and most helpful customer" The man, Daryl, informed me. I smiled a they chatted and decided to take in the shop for the first time. It had a lot of vintage signs and decorations hanging dangerously, yet everything seemed to have a perfect place. I finally turned my attention to the goods in the cases. There wasn't much of a selection at 2 a.m. but what they had seemed delicious. I decided to play it careful and asked for a glazed doughnut while Adrian opted for one with a creme filled center. 

"This one's on me folks." Daryl winked. We thanked him, took our goods, and sat down.

I took a bite and was instantly satisfied. "This is heaven!" I spewed. I glanced at Adrian and tried to disguise my chuckling as a cough.

"What's wrong?" She mumbled through a mouthful of doughnut.

"Nothing." I said whist slowly losing my composure.

"For real, tell me!" She pushed. By this point I completely lost it.

"You have a mustache!" I shouted, louder than I intended. She carefully touched a finger to her lip and broke out into a fit of her own. She had bit the doughnut too hard and creme had squirt out onto her lip, giving her a mustache. We sat there for what seemed like forever, laughing our asses off. When we finally calmed down I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Adrian, thank you. I really needed a distraction like this." I smiled as she finished wiping the creme off of her mouth.

"Thanks for mauling me tonight." She shot back. I smiled and pulled out my wallet, leaving a generous tip on the table as we stood to leave.

"I've had a great time." I said shyly, kicking the rock in front of me.

"Damn right you did, I'm a delight." She said sassily, trying to toss her short blonde hair over her shoulders. Then she unexpectedly pulled me into a hug.

"I promise it's going to get better soon." She whispered into my ear while squeezing me tightly. I took it all in.

"Thanks again, but I better get going before the guys start to worry." I pulled away awwkardly rubbing my neck.

"See ya!" She chirped, leaving me standing there in awe.

Little did he know, this girl was about to change his life.

A/N: This chapter is all over the place and I'm deeply sorry for that!