The Hell Mages

I ran in the room to see a horrid sight, “Oh, Tiger…”

---

My body felt like lead. Tears filled my eyes and I no longer felt the will to stand. This poor kitten…

Why?

I sat down by the beaten kitten’s side and sobbed. I shook him while crying, “Wake up Tiger! Wake up!” I cried until I started choking, until my cheeks burned, until I could no longer

see, until it goes black.

I will keep crying… until this pain in my chest fades.

My body collapsed beside Tiger’s and my eyes closed. I’m so useless, my cat’s dying, and I can’t do anything but cry. How pathetic. I guess Korora was right; I am nothing more than a mere child. Nothing more than a mere experiment in order to… I don’t even understand why I was experimented on!

As the fire in my chest dimmed, my eyelids drooped and I was able to launch myself into my dark subconscious.

---

I awoke to voices. “Why would you do something like that Merikh?”

“The cat had a bit of attitude, I couldn’t help it.” The disturbing voice rang in my ears once more.

“The cat had an attitude?” Questioned a soft and gentle sounding woman; though she sounded soft and gentle her voice had an ounce of immaturity to it. As if she was younger, my age, maybe younger.

“Heh, heh. Yesss, the cat is a smartass. He was very disssressspectful, heh, heh.” I was shaking by the end of his sentence.

“If you say so, may I ask you to leave? You’re very presence is disrupting the peaceful atmosphere I create for my patients.” So she’s the nurse or whatever, how cool. No wonder she sounds like a nice lady…

She reminds me of my mommy.

A door inside the room slammed as his dark presence faded.

“Sweetie, you can open your eyes. Merikh’s left. He’s gone.”

I shook my head and buried myself underneath the covers. “No.” I childishly spoke to her.

“Please.”

“No.”

“Pretty please?”

I lowered the covers over my head but didn’t open my eyes to look at her.

“Are you okay?” She questioned gingerly.

“Yes.”

“Do you remember what happened?”

“Yeah.”

“Will you open your eyes?”

“Ye… no.”

She sighed, “That’s too bad, who am I going to share all these cookies with?” The smell of warm homemade cookies wafted towards my nose.

“I like cookies.”

“Well I can’t share them with you! You obviously want to sit there with your eyes closed, not eating cookies.”

Eh?

“Who said that, I don’t want to just sit here doing nothing!”

“Well maybe if you open your eyes I’ll believe you,” She said with a playful tone in her voice.

I opened my eyes in response, “I’m not three years old.”

When I saw the ‘woman’, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. She couldn’t have been any older than thirteen years. Granted I couldn’t see her entire face but I could see most of it. She had on a long flowing green robe with black accents. The sleeves were at least a foot and half longer than they were supposed to be.