Chapter 7

Battle of Cato Neimodia

'Gungi!' Petro ran down the ramp of the twilight and hugged his friend.
The wookie roared joyfully.
'Yeah, you're right. It's been a long time since we've last seen each other. I think the last time was after the final match of the Tournament.'
They told each other about the adventures they went on so far. The two padawans really enjoyed their reunion.

Anakin exited the twilight soon after, followed by Rex and Fives. He observed his surroundings but couldn't see the person he was looking for.
Gungi noticed Anakin's confusion and stopped talking to Petro for a second to inform the jedi knight that his master was on the bridge currently.
'Thanks. Are you two coming?'
'Just a second master.'
Anakin understood quite well that the two had a lot to talk about. He went with Rex and Fives ahead to the bridge were Plo Koon attended a briefing of the Council. Anakin waited till they had finished and greeted Plo.
'Skywalker, it's good to see you again.'
'Unfortunately the circumstances aren't so good.'
'That's right. Where are our padawans?'
'Still in the hangar telling each other about their adventures.'
'Hmm I must say I was surprised when you informed us you'd take a new apprentice. After all Ahsoka had just left the order.'
'Actually I haven't plant on taking a new padawan yet. I wasn't even sure if I'd take one ever again, but when I saw the Tournament Petro inspired me again.'
'That's good to hear.'
'I myself was quite surprised when I heard that many council members took new padawans, too.'
'We agreed that it's time to focus more on the next generation of jedi again due to the great loses of the last years.' After a moment of silence Plo Koon continued. 'Let's talk about the strategy for the upcoming battle. I suggest we contact the padawans.'
'Right away.'

A few minutes later the jedi had their plan and were ready for the attack. But Anakin seemed distracted. He didn't pay attention during the briefing and now stood on the bridge, just looking into the space. Petro joined his master.
'Master, is everything alright?' he asked carefully.
'Yeah, yeah...I'm just not so focused today. Come on, we prepare our fighters.'
'This time I'll get more than you, you'll see.'
'You think so? The last time I had 15 more than you had.'
'Hey, only because you had a lead!'
'I would have won anyway.'
'Today I'm going to prove you wrong!'
'We'll see about that.'

Thirty minutes later they were ready for take off.
'R3, are you ready to shoot some clankers?'
The astromech beeped enthusiastically in response.
'Petro do me a favor and avoid destroying your starfighter this time. Otherwise the Council is certainly going to chop off our heads.' Anakin said through his comlink.
'It was an accident!' the young padawan defended himself.
The Republic fleet entered Kato Neimodia's orbit.
'Begin the attack. Launch all fighters.' Admiral Yularen ordered.
Anakin and Petro leaded the squadron. The young padawan immediately left it.
'Petro we talked about this. Get back in the formation. That's an order!'
'I don't understand why. I'd be able to shoot more fighters if I'm on my own.'
'You have a responsibility for your men. They depend on you.'
The padawan sighed and flew back.
'At least you start following orders.'
'Not voluntarily.' Petro mumbled so quietly nobody could hear him.
'Remember. As soon as we have secured a landing area for Plo's troops we fly to the next possible landing area and secure it.'
'I know. I was there when we talked about the plan.'
'I just want to make sure you follow the orders. We stick to the plan. At least this time.'
The separatist fighters approached them and the battle began. Their squadron easily destroyed their enemies and had soon cleared the first landing platform. Not long after they secured the next one. And so on.
'I guess that's enough. Petro we two go down and support the ground troops.'
Anakin jumped out of his fighter over the nearest battle followed by his padawan. The astromechs flew the starfighters to the next landing platform.
Fortunately they landed in the middle of Captain Rex's battalion.
'General, thanks for joining us.'
'I see it wasn't necessary. You had everything perfectly under control, Rex.'
Petro and Anakin fought side by side, they became like an unity. They needed no words to know what the other half was about to do. They supported each other, looked out for the other.
'Have you ever seen something like this, Rex?' asked Fives in complet amazement.
'The General is not even so good with General Kenobi. They complement each other. They are both reckless, determined, passionate. These two are meant for one another, Fives.'
Master and padawan drove the droids back into the streets. When there were no more clankers left of this battalion Anakin and Petro met with Rex and Fives to discuss their next move.
'I will go to their main base and capture the separatist commander. Petro you stay here with Rex and Fives and help destroying the next battalion.'
Before Petro could protest Anakin had already sprinted off.
'He can't do this! That's not fair. He's overprotective again.'
'Kid you heard the General. You stay with us. And for your own sake do what he said for once.'
'Fine. As soon as we're done here I'll follow him.'
The Republic troops used the moment of fire pause to advance on.
The young padawan contacted his friend in the meantime.
'Gungi how is it going? Has master Koon also left?'
The wookie roared in response.
'So Master Plo is still with you. My master headed to the main base of the Separatists. I'm getting strange signals from the force. I'm probably being warned.'
Petro hesitated shortly but finally came to a decision.
'I go after him. He will need my help. Yeah you're right, Master Skywalker ordered me otherwise but I have to go. I'll contact you if we are in any danger.'

Anakin hadn't expected the Sith in front of him to be here in any way. The last thing he heard about him was when Obi Wan returned from Mandalor a few month ago. Afterwards it was reported by the mandalorian that he had vanished. And here he was: Darth Maul. The two of them circled each other in the open hangar.
'Maul, how unexpected. So you joined your old master again I assume?'
'I'm now the leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. And I'm not as foolish as my predecessor. Dooku was weak. He would have never accomplished winning this war but I will and with my victory the jedi will fall.'
Maul threw his black cloak away and activated his blood red double lightsaber. Anakin activated his blue one in response.
'Don't worry. I'll send you back to Kenobi when I'm done with you. In pieces.'
'I'd prefer me slashing you in pieces instead.'
In this instant Petro jumped down from the ceiling with his activated saber where he's been hiding and landed in front of Maul.
'I'm sorry, but you can't kill my master. At least not until I got knighted. May I introduce myself.' He bowed firmly to the sith. 'Padawan learner Petro Dameron. I'm gratified by meeting you.'
'I don't have time fo this. Step aside, kid.' The padawan took a fighting posture. 'Let me think about it...no.'
Maul began choking the boy who let fall his lightsaber and grabbed his throat.
'Let him GO!' Shouted Anakin and jumped forward swinging back his blue blade. Maul threw the padawan aside and blocked the blow. And so they went on trying to beat their opponent with strength and speed but neither of them landed a strike...until Maul managed to disarm Anakin. The Sith used the instant when the jedi knight called his lightsaber back to his hand and threw his lightsaber at his outstretched forearm. Anakin's hand was cut but fortunately it was only the mechanical one. Ignoring the pain he called his lightsaber back with the other hand and attacked Maul. Filled with rage he clashed his lightsaber merciless against Maul one's. He drove him back. The Sith recognised that he was loosing ground and kicked Anakin in the gut. The jedi landed on the ground and did not even has the chance to stand up because Maul force choked him.

Petro gained back his consciousness. The first thing he saw through his still blurry vision was Maul choking his master.
'Use your anger. Only your hate makes you strong.'
The young padawan slowly stood up and called his lightsaber back into his hand. His eyes changed to a fearful yellow. Darth Maul saw him too late and was surprised by the padawans sudden change.
With a strong force push Petro slammed him into a metal wall and jumped towards Maul to make a final strike. The Sith could roll aside in the last second and Petro's lightsaber was stuck in the ground. Suddenly he heard blaster fire. It was the reinforcement with master Plo Koon and Gungi. Maul ran to his fighter and Petro already wanted to follow him when the Kel'Dor stopped him.
'Petro, stop. Let him go.'
'But we could still capture him!'
'Not today.' They looked after Maul's fighter as it took off. 'You seek for revenge young one. And revenge is not the jedi way.' The padawan recognised that the jedi master was right and let go of his anger, his yellow eye colour changing back to normal. His gaze roamed over to a medic clone who knelt beside Anakin and took care of his wounds.
'You disregarded your master's orders again I've heard.'
Petro prepared for a lecture, the one he usually gets in this situation but was quite surprised by Master Plo's following sentences.
'But for once you did the right thing. You showed great courage today and saved your master's life. Master Skywalker can really be proud of you.'
Still perplexed by Plo's words he responded 'Thank you, master.' and bowed to the Kel'Dor.
The young padawan went over to the stracher his master had been placed on in the meantime.
Anakin placed his human hand on Petro's shoulder.
'You saved my life today. Thank you.'
'Isn't this my duty as your padawan?'
Anakin just smiled at him. 'You know I don't tell you often I'm really proud of you.'
Petro beamed and responded 'Get better soon so that we can continue combat training and I can defeat Maul.'
'I will. May the force be with you. And don't get into any trouble.'
'I guarantee for nothing.' He said honestly. 'May the force be with you, master.'
He watched the gunship carrying his master taking off.
One day I will kill Maul. That's a promise master.
Gungi approached him, punched him in the shoulder and roared.
'Yeah pretty cool, huh? When I tell the others I've fought against a real Sith they'll be really impressed.' He said boastfully.
Gungi rolled his eyes in response.
'Padawans, we are needed on the battlefield. Let's go.' Plo Koon waited for them in one of the gunships.

After the battle the Jedi High Council held a briefing. Master Plo told the other members about the return of Darth Maul and Petro's heroic actions. At first they agreed on tracking down Maul to end this war soon. After that they went on to Petro.
'I suggest we count Petro's action as his Trial of Courage.' Master Kenobi suggested.
Everyone nodded in agreement.
'His Trial of Courage completed it is.' Master Yoda stated.
'The force tells me that he'll get a strong force wielder. But he has similar problems as his master and must show great strength to overcome them.' Master Windu added.
Everybody nodded in agreement again.