Chapter 26: Let's Play A Game

Scar's POV

When we reached Dentrow, everything seemed so perfect.

Everyone was going on as if nothing were wrong, as if Talon and I hadn't abandoned our mates back in Felain. As if we weren't already feeling the effects of leaving them.

We shifted and clothed ourselves so as not to ruin the innocence of the children that roamed the streets.

As we made our way purposefully through the town, we were informed by our runner that the meeting had been set for just a little after noon.

I knew it was almost noon, though the sun was nonexistent through the dense clouds that signaled an incoming storm.

Talon and I hurried through the town and onto the trail.

When we reached the clearing the Vampyres were still there.

It was the same group as last time, minus Katherine. Her betrayed consort was there however.

Markov was sickly, obviously feeling the effects of his consort being gone from him. At this rate, he would likely not survive to the end of the month.

I stepped up to Henry and we eyed each other. I held out my arm before he slowly reached grasped it. "What do you know of Markov's consort? What of her disappearance?" He asked in a low voice.

I replied in the same tone "One of our own was killed in a ritual. Witchcraft was found to be the cause of death and we have reason to believe that his consort is behind it. May we speak in private?"

He pulled back, not showing any emotion and waving his men back.

I glanced at Talon and he nodded before turning and walking to the edge of the clearing.

Henry started again "Are you positive?"

I shook my head "We had the help of some scholars back in Felain. When the woman was found on our borders she was beaten, cut many times, and nailed to a tree. Upon further inspection we found the cause of death to be drowning. Our healer examined the body and determined that witchcraft was the cause. Our scholars went through many spell books and just happened to find it in one...belonging to a Katherine Markson."

Henry's jaw tightened "What was the spell for, Scar?"

I took a deep breath "It was to revive one's soul, Henry. She changed herself back from a Vampyre into a human."

Henry snarled "Damn it. I told Markov to wait!"

I frowned "Wait for what?"

Henry shook his head slowly "Markov found the young woman on the streets and within the first five minutes of finding her, he had her stripped and was rutting in and out of her. I could hear her screams throughout the town. Everyone could. In the next two sunrises she was already changed. She didn't take well to Markov or the change but he was convinced that she would grow out of it."

Henry looked disgusted "I told him to wait."

I realized how lucky some women were right then. The kind of pain Katherine had gone through, the trauma, would be enough to send anyone over the edge. What if I had snapped and done that to Vas?

I would end my own life before I ever even thought of doing that.

I sighed and spoke when my emotions were under control "I believe we've been ruled to long by our prejudices, Henry. I will be the first to apologize for my insolence. I wish to clean our slate and start anew so that our kind may intermingle with the humans wholly and safely."

He looked up sharply and slowly, I saw a smirk curve his lips "I will accept that apology and extend one of my own. I want nothing more than for the life of my consort to be safe and healthy."