Chapter 3: The Alpha

I knew he had arrived when I was pulled awake by one of the beasts "Come." He ordered not unkindly.

I sat up and slowly bent my back and heard an unnatural crack. The beast stopped and glanced back at me in horror.

I gazed at him with a raised brow and he turned back around waking others. I had not seen him before. He had a shirt on for one, but for another, he had a kinder appearance.

He was the man that was the stand-in leader. His eyes were inviting and so was his face. The beasts were built to seduce and attract. He just seemed more gentle than the rest.

"Clean up boys, you'll be helping the women serve dinner. Those that did not cook are tending to the needs of our men." The beast announced as he led us to a water trough. My first thought was "Shit." And my second one was "I can't wash off all the dirt."

I half-heartedly splashed water on my face and wiped it with the sleeve of my coat. I turned to go get in line when the man stepped up, scolding me "Boys." He muttered. He grasped my face, dipped a cloth in the trough and brought it to my face, cleaning it gently.

I was too surprised to do anything other than freeze and let him proceed to wash me as a mother would a babe. He plucked off my cap and I almost cringed. He just kept cleaning though "You can keep the cap on if you must, but you'll need to wash your hair too." He told me, frowning. I looked away and nodded. 

I felt his eyes burning a hole in my face as I reached into the water and cupped my hands together. I took the water and threw it over my head, shaking my hair with my hands. It would start to curl when it dried. I took the cap from the man and put it back on my head as he continued to scowl at me.

"What's your name, boy?" He asked.

I replied flatly "V."

He pursed his lips "How old are you, V?" 

I inhaled before answering  with a fib "16."

He gave a small nod as if confirming that I was young enough to have not hit puberty yet. "Get back in line, V."

I did and Lance glanced back at me, frowning. "What was that about?" he asked in a whisper as we walked. I replied quickly, gulping in relief that my secret was not discovered so quickly "I honestly don't want to know or find out."

We were escorted into the kitchen where the older women were working diligently. I saw my mother, but she did not see me, not at first anyway. She must have glance away and seen my father's coat that I was wearing because she stopped what she was doing and met my gaze with wide, worried blue eyes. I gave a quick shake of my head and she closed her eyes, breathing out.

I knew that look. It was a helplessness I knew she was feeling. 

Before either of us could give each other more looks we were led out. I noticed Julianne helping set the tables. We were told to help them do it. I held a basket of silverware and came up behind Julie who just happened to be placing silverware down. She glanced at me, grasped a few forks, turned and stopped. "V, your hands..." She gasped...

I'd wrapped cloth around both, but little specks of dried blood must have seeped through in the night "I'm fine, Julie. Are you well?" She nodded slowly as she went back to work. Her hair was clean, as was her cream-colored face. She had not slept well it appeared, but I didn't expect her too. Her appetite would go next. That's how it happened when our father died.

"We sleep in the town hall in cots. Mable and Mary were taken to some of their chambers. I haven't seen them since." She whispered to me as we worked. There was a dull chatter all around so I assumed they didn't mind us doing the same as long as we were quiet about it. Mable and Mary were twins that were a year younger than myself and had been our friends since we were all swaddles.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get us out before..." I started but Julie stopped me, scolding me "Don't you dare. We wouldn't have made it out of the city quick enough. It happened so fast too. I am glad you are dressed as you are. I don't want you taken from me." She started saying, with tears in her eyes.

I nudged her with my shoulder "Julie, they wouldn't notice me if I were in a skirt or not. You, on the other hand, call attention to yourself. I worry about you, but don't you start worrying about me." She nodded silently "V?" She asked.

I nodded, motioning for her to go on "Why do you think they wouldn't pay attention to you?"

I stopped then, surprised by the change in this conversation. I felt a blush starting to creep up my face "Julie, I'm not feminine, and I never have been." She scowled and huffed "You just refuse to see it, but you will one day...and if we're not careful, so will they." I gulped "Julie, please, we can't talk about this here." She sighed "Fine, but soon, I will show you what you don't see about yourself, V, you just wait."

I shook my head in dismay at her and kept following her around, thankful that the silverware kept getting lighter and lighter on my injured hands. They had started bleeding again.

Scar's POV

My pack had just finished collecting our last town. The lines were drawn of this war between us and the Vampyres, but I knew we would reign victorious.

This last town would be our headquarters.

As I arrived with my warriors in tow, I noticed at least 40, if not 50 graves. It was not as many casualties as I was expecting. Perhaps the men of this town were less wily than the rest?

We entered the great hall and my Beta, Rhyn, came forth smiling "Nice to see you, Scar. How'd the journey go?" I smiled "It went just fine. How did the siege go?" Rhyn nodded, becoming more formal "We have 48 dead exactly. We have them all buried. The food is almost prepared."

I nodded "Are there many mates being found here?" Rhyn gave another nod "Quite a few, yes."

"Good, good. Have any of the men tried to make trouble for you?" Rhyn shook his head. "No, there was a young woman who was screaming her head off last night, but her brother calmed her down. Strange boy he is."

I shrugged "Any men look valuable?" Rhyn smiled "There are several blacksmiths here. They are well trained."

I clapped him on the shoulder "That is good." I looked around the hall "How about we go and celebrate with a few drinks before our dinner is served?"

I heard many cheers of agreement as we headed into the hall.

I stopped as this feeling assaulted me. There was no smell I could latch onto, but this spark inside of me grew. It felt like a flickering flame turning into a raging fire.

I turned as I saw a wild flame of red hair that seemed to glow in the light of the torches lining the wall, but it was not the fair maiden with flames for hair that set a fire to my lust. It was the slight figure behind her. A cap covered most of the face and small curls peeked out from beneath it. 

As the figure strode behind the flaming maiden, I noticed that the figure was carrying a bucket in front of her...no...she was wearing trousers. She, wasn't even a she. She was a he, and he was my mate.