Chapter 14: Crumbling

Third Person POV (Rhyn)

They'd been gone for about three days already.

Rhyn decided if he was going to do something, he better do it before they got back tonight.

He hoped nothing bad had happened to Scar or V.

Rhyn crept away from his duties as stand in Alpha and ran off into the woods.

He searched dutifully for the tree where he'd hidden the lock of hair.

When he found it, he grasped the braid and took it to the nearest stream where he rinsed off all the mud and grime.

It was an auburn color. It wasn't red, or brown, just an odd mix in between.

He didn't know anyone with hair like that.

The only person he could think of with red hair...was Julianne.

He got a bad feeling in his gut as he stuffed the braid into his bag and headed into town.

He found Julianne not in the town hall, but in her house with her mother. They were drinking tea and playing cards. Though it was full daylight, they had candles lit.

He knocked on their door when Julianne answered "Uh...Beta Rhyn. To what do we owe this pleasure?" She asked calmly.

Rhyn motioned inside "I'd like to come in if you don't mind. I need to talk to both of you privately."

Svetlana, Julianne's mother offered him tea, but he politely declined.

Rhyn asked them to sit down and they did, glancing at each other and then back at him with looks he recognized very well. They weren't nearly as harsh, but those solemn gazes were practically identical to V's.

He slowly pulled out the braid "Neither of you look like you've had a haircut in a while, but this color, well, I coudln't help but notice the red. Ladies, you're the only people in town with red hair."

Julie stared at the braid, blinked and then looked back at him before taking a slow, deep breath. Her mother still chose to gaze at the braid with an almost somber expression.

"I'm afraid we're not aware of what point you're trying to make, Beta." Julie replied coolly.

Rhyn inhaled sharply. Her heartbeat didn't waver, but that could be due to a lot of things. Rhyn stood, placing the braid on the table in front of them "What point I'm trying to make is that V never really looked too much like a boy to me. I knew that some boys just had soft faces, but it's ingrained in the way V acts...he acts like a woman. Granted, a feisty one, but then again, I hear that comes with the red hair. To conclude this little theory, I will say this: I'm trying to make the point that when I found this braid it all clicked into place. V doesn't look like a boy for one very simple reason, she isn't one. Is she?"

Svetlana shared a look with Julie and that was all the answer Rhyn needed "What's her real name?"

Svetlana sighed "Vasilisa Grigori is my eldest daughter."

Her gaze sent chills through Rhyn, but her words froze him straight through.

"How old is she?" He asked after a moment. Julie's mother replied "19, recently. Why do you ask?"

Rhyn stood with steely determination. He fought to control his anger. He felt so betrayed.

He stormed towards the door. Julie called out "If you hurt her..."

He stopped, turning to hiss at her "What will you do? Will you cut your hair off and pretend to be a boy as well, frequently endangering yourself and the lives of those around you?"