Chapter Twenty Three: Black and Mellow

“We do not choose violence. We face it when we must.”

Stephenie Meyer The Host

                After the cops had arrived, I requested to go to the hospital. Three cops surrounded me and asked me if I was okay. They quickly cut off the rope that bound me to the chair. I watched as they helped me and then went over to help Gage as well.

                I rubbed my wrists and noticed the red lines on my skin from the rope that dug into my arms. My legs were also tied together and it took a lot of energy for me to finally stand up.

                “Are you okay?” One cop asked me again.

                “Just take me to the hospital.” I uttered.

                “Alright then.”

                I looked over to Aliana and Chip. I remembered that officer Chip Willis was the one that denied me the right to go see my sister in the first place and I glared at him. If he had just let me go then none of this would have happened. Malory would probably be alive and maybe Jamanj would have gotten caught faster.

                Jamanj’s sister and Chip were casually leaning against the wall in the kitchen. They were talking to another cop who had a notepad in his hand. He was ardently taking down everything they were saying. I figured Chip was telling him that everything that happened was my fault. The young police officer was feeding the other cops lies and there was nothing I could do about it; it was his word against mine.

                On the other hand, Aliana seemed like the person that would tell the police officers the truth. She wanted Jamanj out of her life as much as I did. I sensed no malice in her sparkling blue eyes as I walked by her on my way out of the door. Her dark hair was scruffy and her makeup was running down her porcelain face. There were black bruises on her neck and I realized that I had actually hurt her a bit when we got into a fight.

                “Liliana are you okay?” Gage questioned from behind me.

                I turned around. “Yeah I’m fine.”

                “Where are they taking us? The police station?”

                “The hospital.”

                “Let’s go then.”

                Gage wrapped his arm around me and sort of carried me out of the apartment. His strong arms seemed to protect me as we walked away from the scene where a lot had taken place.

                Things flew by as I walked down the hallway. There were more police officers in the hallway where Malory’s corpse laid on the carpet. They had put some type of blue tarp over her body. That was how they treated a dead body at a crime scene. I had the urge to go running back and remove the tarp just to make sure that Malory was dead. There was no way that lively Malory was dead.