Chapter Twelve: All of the Nights

“Why don’t we cut you up into little pieces and feed you to your pooches? Hmm? And then we’ll see how loyal a hungry dog really is.”

Heath Ledger The Dark Knight

                I was so relieved to be close to freedom. I felt that once we reached New York City that Jamanj Reklats would be arrested and put away forever. Being in New York made me feel one step closer to never seeing him again. I was one step closer to being safe.

                “Finally.” Avian huffed. “I can’t wait to get home so I can get out of this car with all of you. No offense but I hate you all.”

                “None taken, but we all hate you too.” Charisse spat back.

                “Ladies calm down. We are almost to New York City. Try not to kill each other until then.” Gage commented.

                “I am not making any promises.” Charisse told him.

                I looked outside the window at the city. I loved moving from a small town to a big city. Hampshire, Illinois, was a small town where everyone knew everyone. Charisse and I knew every person, every house and everyone’s dirty secret. It was hard to hide in such a small town. Now that we lived in Chicago, I could go out without someone spotting me. I loved that I could walk down the street without someone from her school seeing me. I had hoped that things would go back to normal once I went home.

                Here in the state of New York there were hundreds, thousands, and probably millions of other people. The streets were swamped with people and Malory had to stop the car to let them cross the street even though the light turned green.

                But I was also so close to reuniting with our father that I could almost hear his jovial voice in my ear. We had spent so much time together in the past but I barely had any memories of him. I spent my earlier years with him and could barely remember anything. All I remembered was the camping trips and shopping sprees we went on but I didn’t have any memories of him taking me to school on the first day or teaching me or Charisse how to ride a bike. I hoped that that would soon change.

                My reverie was broken when the car took a sharp turn and pulled into a parking lot.

                “Where are we going?” I questioned.

                “Everyone is tired. We are going to stop at a hotel for a couple of days.” Charisse confirmed as Malory took the keys out of the ignition.

                “But we are almost to the city.” I argued.

                We were so close.

                “It’s only for a couple of hours.” Charisse promised. “Then we can go off and find our father Liliana.”