Chapter Sixteen: Boulevard of Broken Things

“This wasn’t life as she knew it, not anymore.”

Melissa de la Cruz The Ashleys: Lip Gloss Jungle

                I looked down at Jamanj, still holding my sweaty hands over my mouth to keep from crying out loud. If Jamanj heard the slightest sound, then I knew that I would give away my position. I thought Jamanj saw me hiding inside of the vent and I was almost sure that he knew where I was hiding. Before I almost gave up, Jamanj turned to face the other wall in the bathroom. He had no clue that I was there.

                “Liliana! Where are you?” Jamanj called out, cupping his hands over his face to project his voice. “Liliana come out wherever you are hiding!”

                I continued to breathe slowly and tried not to make any noise in the vent. If I made a sound then Jamanj would come after me with the knife and gun he held in each hand. This was a life or death situation and I needed to live to make sure Jamanj was put away for good.

                “Please Liliana! I won’t hurt you! I just want to protect you.” Jamanj walked toward one of the stalls and kicked it open again as if I would magically appear.

                This was one of the scariest situations I was ever in. I considered giving myself up and letting Jamanj find me. He promised not to hurt me but I wasn’t so sure that I believed him. Jamanj was a crazy killer and he had shot my sister Charisse.

                “Get out now!” Jamanj bellowed as he went over to one of the mirrors and bashed his hand against it repeatedly, making a loud noise as he did it.

                Fiery red blood immediately began dripping from his cold pale hand. He had sliced his hand from his upper arm to one of his fingers. Jamanj was starting to get more and more frustrated  with me as he looked at his arm angrily like I was the one that caused the injury.

                “See what you made me do!” Jamanj waved his arm around, sending droplets of blood flying. “I hurt myself because of you!”

                Jamanj took another step to the next mirror and smashed his fist into the glass. He screamed and broke all of the mirrors in the bathroom. Broken shards of glass littered the floor. There was even more glass lodged into his bluish pale skin than there was on the floor.

                “Please come out!” He called once again.

                His personality changed and went from anger to sorrow. I felt warm tears flow down my face even though I fought to keep them from falling. Jamanj was going crazy and I didn’t know if he was going to begin shooting at every wall in the bathroom because he had already punch out every mirror.

                “Where are you?” He whispered, trying to dig out some of the glass that was stuck in his skin. “When I find you…….”