Chapter Three: Meet Me Hallway

“But she still couldn’t bring herself to tell him the truth.”

Cecily von Ziegesar The Carlyles

                I couldn’t believe this. A body had fallen out of my closet. I quickly ran over to my bed to get away from it. Then I realized that the person could be my mother or Charisse so I picked it up to identify the person, and noticed it was a doll. It was one of those human size life-like dolls, and it was wearing the outfit that I had picked out at the mall. How could someone have access to my room and do that? Who knew about the outfit that I wanted to buy? My sister was on a date when I picked out the outfit and she was with me the entire time I was in the car. She could not have enough time to go to my room before I arrived and plant the doll in my closet. I then began to believe that someone else was messing with me. My sister liked to play pranks but this would be taking it way too far. Charisse did not have the brains to do something like this and she would never play some sick joke.

                The doll also had angry black lettering on the forehead. In capital letters, it read “JR”. My hair mirrored that of the dolls, and the delicate features of my face uncannily matched the doll too. The shade of the doll’s eyes glistened and were as bright and beautiful a green as mine.

                If Charisse was to blame, then I felt that I needed to confront her and tell her to stop with the insensitive jokes. I slid on my shoes and crept to her room.

                Charisse was sound asleep. Her clothes were still in the boxes; her uniform draped across the chair at her dresser. The alarm clock on her dresser said midnight in bright crimson letters. I walked over to my sister, and shook her lightly to wake her.

                “Charisse, wake up!” I continued to shake her, as she mumbled incoherent words. “Can you please wake up? It’s very important.”

                “Liliana!” My older sister sat up in her bed abruptly. “Go back to sleep! It’s very late and we have to get up early in the morning.”

                “This is important.” I stated.

                “I am tired. Go away now!”

                Defeated, I stood up and walked away as Charisse continued to shoo me out of her room. She definitely was not the one who put the doll in my closet, but who did? Who would want to scare me or make me upset?

                It was really late at night and I decided that I would try to go to sleep and forget about the strange first day at school and the unfortunate events that followed. I headed back to my room and climbed into my bed, closed my eyes and tried to forget all about the black car that followed me when Charisse and I went out for lunch. As my eyelids became heavy, I tried to wipe my mind of the doll I discovered in my closet, and the anonymous instant message I received on my computer. When I realized that I was dreaming, I had forgotten all about the creepy Jamanj Reklats and his strange mannerisms at school, my house and the mall.